Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,401 users have contributed to 42,225 threads and 254,783 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 45 new user(s).

• Thanks for the suggestion, Conquer.

Hobbyist ... Sy Woods, Brass, Perc I, Str Pro, Elite Str, Duality Str & Sordino, Prime ... Sy-ized Woods, Perc, Solo Str, Ch Str, App Str, Harps, Choir, Dim Brass, Dim Strings ... VE Pro, MIR Pro 3D, Vienna Suite Pro ... Cubase 12, Studio One 6, Dorico 5
  • If it's not recommended by VSL then my suggestion can be disregarded.   Currently, I'm relying on MIR, Dim Strings and other libraries to set up the second instruments/sections.   I have been thinking of giving the pitch-bend/transposition trick a try but maybe it's not worth the trouble.  Thanks for the information.

• Hey EP, perhaps you should give the transpose / pitch bend approach a whirl before passing on it - lots of users are happy with it, and VSL don't actively discourage it (they simply point out that there are other ways of mocking up second violin sections that don't involve pitch bend). Just a thought! [:)]

• I have tried this transposition trick, with succes in Cubase and I like the result. The only problem I have is a strange ringing which is only audible after the last note is played and is caused by a messed up release. Anyone care to explain and solve? Thanks in advance, Pieter Cubase 7.5, Win8, VSL Special Edition

• Wow, all of this is making me more and more confused :) I'm sorry that I'm probably asking something that has already been explained here, but I don't quite understand why it is neccessary to transpose or pitchbend inside the DAW. Wouldn't it be enough to 1) transpose the patch up two semitones with the "transpose" function in the "edit" tab of VIPro 2) tilt the pitch controller all the way down so that it bends the pitch of the whole instrument down a whole tone? This way, you could play the instrument on your keyboard in real-time and would hear the correct notes. Is there something wrong with this approach? Perhaps I misunderstood what the "transpose" function actually does. I always thought that it doesn't pitchbend, but lets VIPro trigger a different sample by moving the entire keyboard mapping two keys down. For example: if I transposed up a whole tone and played a C4, VIPro would trigger a D4 sample instead. Isn't it what it does? Then all you needed to do is to pitch the whole instrument down via pitch controller and this would enable you to play unison lines with 1. & 2. violins without playing the same samples in unison. Wouldn't be that exactly what the transposition trick is about? Having two versions of the same instrument that can play in the same pitch, but avoid phasing by triggering different samples? Is this actually NOT how it works? I hope I'm not adding to the confusion ... :)

• last edited
    last edited

@EP said:

As this is apparently how the string libraries work,  I love to see VSL implement a global function that would take care of the pitch bend and transposition for an entire preset. The users should not need tinkering around with their sequencer /notation software to setup the second violin section.

This is not "apparently" how the VSL string libraries work, it is how MIDI works.  When you send a transpose command via MIDI, it does not matter whether it comes from a DAW, or within a player.  It is a simple transposition of pitch information and has nothing to do with audio.  It is pure data about what sample to trigger.  If you send a pitch bend command, it will transpose the audio data of a sample down or up by a number of cents you specify.  It is totally different from transpose - according to MIDI.  So you cannot blame this on VSL - it is the nature of MIDI.  Also, VSL already dealt with this by providing pitch-shifted 2nd violins throughout all the string libraries, though maybe you don't have them based on whatever edition you are using. 

And there is no problem anyway - it is totally simple : from the sequencer or DAW, send a pitch bend downwards a half step - that would be pitch wheel down from the middle, so it is a value of  32.  Then, in the same sequencer or DAW transpose the actual musical notes (not the keyswitches) up a half step.  Now you have totally different samples with no phasing and as an added benefit, the same amount of sample RAM used.

By the way transposition up and pitch shifting down is better than the reverse, because notes  (and trills/tremolo) sound more "nervous" and high frequency-exaggerated when pitched shifted up, but sound more mellow and euphonius when pitch-shifted down.

• Any suggestions to why this trick is messing up my release? Regards, Pieter

• last edited
    last edited

@DaddyO said:

Pitch Bend

Wouldn't it be imprecise and hard to use because of the detailed gradations of pitch bend level?

No. The maximum number = the maximum amount you determine in VI. You want it up a tone, you make the pitch bend lane [+]8191 for the track and that's that, or -8192 for a tone down. 0 being no change. Even as a physical controller, you hit its limit, it's all the way pushed and as long as VI is set to '2' it equals '2'.