Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,668 users have contributed to 42,252 threads and 254,887 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Rolf_Music said:

Ya but how would I get replacement licenses or what happens if I reformat my PC. Things like that pass through my head. It is really a nightmare.

I think you're over thinking it. As long as you have the software and the licences on your dongle, you can transfer everything to a new computer as many times as you like. If VSL or Steinberg were to go bust, your system would still work. However, whilst it's true that there is no guarantee that everything would work on an upgraded system, this is true for all software, including Native Instruments.

DG

• In an email they stated that replacement in case of damage are 20 euros per license and that if the company goes out of business they offer permanent unlock codes like NI. If only all of this was stated somewhere.

• Excuse me for butting in on a thread which is not especially relevant to my question, which comes as a result of reading one of the contributions, where I read " If you have fast SSD hard drives, you can raise the load buffers and have VSL use more hard drive reads." in a paragraph written by cgernaey, and signed off Maestro2be.

I have been using using ssd drives on my Mac Pro for a while, along with MIR Pro and the new Dimensioon Strings, so as I currently have only 16GB of RAM, I'm interested inways of reducing demands on the Memory. Unfortunately however, I have no idea how to raise the load buffers. I don 't even know what that means, though I've seeing mention of it before. 

Would someone, perhaps even the author of this contribution, be kind enough to explain very simply how I should do this, and perhaps what the load buffers should be set at (if that's the right way to put it).

Many thanks

Cefnfaes

• The best explanation for it is found on page 8 of the manual.  I believe it is only available for VI PRO 2 and not the free players.  So look in your user area for the VI PRO 2 manual, and look at page 8.  It's perfectly outlined right there.  This is another of the many advantages of VI PRO 2.  Humanization is only 1, of many.  I believe VSL let's everyone read the manual, even if you don't own it so it would be a good read for those who want to know what it can do that your free player isn't doing.

I for one love the humanize feature and it's adjustable parameters (you can adjust what percentage you want of the script).  Additionally, they have tons of presets that actually completely change the tuning and humanization.  I no longer have to do anything with that to get what I want. 

Time Stretching the samples, to make basically any sample become exactly the length I need it to play.  A 2 second crescendo is now 3 seconds with a few clicks of a button.

Auto-Divisi.  I can easily stack multiple samples and sections and have them split for me automatically.  Is a nice feature.

Total number of cells is increased - I can layer a lot more samples into one icon because the total number of allowable cells per instance is increased.  I can now put 8 instruments into one instance and pan them etc and or layer them perfectly in a snap.  Instead of the maximum of 2 in the free player I think it is.

APP Sequencer - In long repetitive sections this works amazing for writing a long heartbeat styled base line or pizzicato section as well as any other type of sequence you want to create.

I am beginning to re-write the manual here so you would be better to go read the manual.  The first few pages of the manual are specifically outlined with what's new etc.  Page 8 will explain your preload buffer size.

**edit - another one I could never live without is cell disable feature and the presets made for VI PRO 2.  This means I can load every sample of the entire instrument library ready to go, only all cells disabled (so no memory usage).  All I do is double click the one I need and it loads that sample for me.  No spending hours searching for samples etc.  They are all right in front of my face.**

Hope that helps and no I do not get any favor points, free instruments or money if you buy VI PRO 2 because of this :).  I have never even met anyone from VSL let alone work for them :).

Maestro2be

• By the way cgernaey, what makes up the consumation of the RAM in MIR Pro? I tested it with the included VSL patches from the Kontakt 5 factory library and It merely reached 2.5 RAM. I honestly dont know why they say it consumed alot of memory and CPU. The only thing I can think of is if I load full vienna instruments which take up space but MIR alone...no idea to be honest.

• Thank you Maestro2be for your very interesting and helpful reply to my question. I had no idea it was so simple!

Cefnfaes