Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,712 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• Another related issue. PLAY engine will start having dropouts and acting wonky, yet it didnt crash VEP immediately. Have to reload template to solve this. After this had happened, VEP crashed on exit. Leads me to believe that this could be a related issue. here's the link to my post on EWQL forums. http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?p=715624#post715624

• [quote=MS]

HÃ¥kan,

A while ago, I made a (theoretical) burst performance analysis of a couple of harddrives. I now added the Caviar Green as well. As you can see from the table, SSDs are clearly superior to regular drives. The Caviar Green doesn't stand up very well in this competition. Even though regular drives can stream a reasonable amount of voices when triggered sequentially (such as dragging your forearm on the piano), they are terrible at pure burst performance, triggering many notes at once. Quantized music would be the hardest task for a mechanical drive.

Many new libraries, such as Dimension Strings or Hollywood Strings, trigger many voices (players, microphones etc) exactly at the same time. Then the burst values from this table are most important.

There seems to be something wrong with the WD Cavier Black's in this test, the 2TB Cavier Black's I use are 64MB cache/4.2mS access time/126MBps transfer rate, the above test figures don't seem to reflect reality.

I have ran extreme tests with Dimension strings (achieving 1024 voices playing - helped along by using a longer than normal release time to keep all the voices going)   - using the default buffer size.  I still don't see the need for expensive and inadequate capacity SSD drives. 

The specs may try to show one thing,  but reallity seems to be something completely different.  Are people just fooling themselves with unachievable  SSD specs?

• andyjh,

1. You are not considering rotational latency. The average access time is just as described in the table, you can confirm this by googling around a bit, reading some in-depth reviews of said drives.

2. Regarding playing 1024 voices - the table states a maximum, non-cached performance of 635 stereo voices. Dimension Strings is using mono voices, so maximum theoretical voice count would be twice, 1270.

3. Your drive and operating system is caching data, so by playing the same data over and over again, it will be accessed from cache, and the burst figures become less relevant.

4. As soon as you trigger a set of voices/waves that are not in cache, in other words notes you have not played before, the burst figures become relevant. This would also apply to an arrangement you open up directly after a reboot of the system, when caches are not yet populated.