Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,492 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Cubase not recognizing multiple midi channels coming from VEP5 in slave machine.

Hi all,

This is the first time I start using VEP (so these questions are going to be "beginning ones"). I have been working directly into cubase with no VEP until now. 

I have few questions related to my brand new 2 computer setup (1 daw 1 slave machine setup).

These are my questions?

1- I can only connect 1 midi track in cubase. When trying to create a new midi track, it can only recognize one channel (meaning I get sound in only one midi channel when playing in my keyboard). I can change the channel to 1 or 2 or whatever, and it works, but, I can not do it for multiple channels. What I mean is that if i play on the channel with the horns, it plays, but when I swith to the channel holding the strings I don't get sound.

What I'm doing is adding a new instance of VEP on the first stack of vst instrument devices just like the manual says. It ask me if I want to create the midi channel and that's it. also, when creating the midi channels, I am selecting vep-1 midi port and changing to the corresponding midi channel. 

2- I know you can use vst3 to get to 32 midi channels. But, I don't know how to do this. I have been using vst2 and I don't recall during the installation that it asked me where to install the vst3 files.

3- Is it possible to create lets say 3 different midi channels in cubase (of course connected to vep5), but when you play on your keyboard all 3 channels play together recording independent midi lines at the same time?

4-Is it possible to use lets say a keyswitch or a midi command to change from one channel to another in cubase wile playng?

These are the speks of my system:

Daw:

i7 5600k running at stuck speed

16gb of memory

7000 rms hard drives.

Running cubase 6

vep5

Slave:

i7 5600k running at stuck speed

32gb of memory

7000 rms hard drives.

ssd drives for eastWest stuff

vep5

Both computers are connected using a 5 channel gygabit router. Also, a wireless bridge is connected to the network using one of the 3 left free channels on the same gigagit router. 

I thank you all in advance for your help and time.

regards,

Agustin

• Hi Agustin,

Let me try this by numbers :

1. Use VST3

2. VST3 has 3 /// in front

3. Ofcourse

4. Not sure why you would want to do that , but............ I dont know

Not sure if I helped. Any way do what I do and play around till ya figure it out....or read boring manuals

John

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

4-Is it possible to use lets say a keyswitch or a midi command to change from one channel to another in cubase wile playng?
    This is not really a coherent way of approach. It's best to do this in the key editor set to solo edit mode. You have the above horns = ch 1, strings = ch 2 and you can easily switch to the appropriate track -> channel by selecting the part in key editor.

Key switches are for articulations of the instrument or a new matrix of dimensions of articulations really.

• Just to make sure : when you select another midi track in Cubase, are you in record mode (i.e. is the record button lit in red) ?

Michaƫl

• Thanks John for you fast answer.

Acually, few hours after I posted these questions, I finally was able to figur it out. I re-read the manual with no clear answer. My guess, is that I still don't know all the actual technical words and got lost. I was locky enough to find a detail youtube tutorial on seting up vienna ensemble pro but in logic. I don't use logic, but the set up was very similar, so I was able to find out what I was doing wrong. I was not setting up correctly the oudio outputs.

Thanks Michael for your inquire. Yes I was turning on record. But, it's finally solve. I am surprised how increadible stable is this vep5. Is night and day...

Civilization 3 you really surprised me I didn't expected such a answer. Thanks so much for your increadible effort to explain me all this , you even took the time to include some screen grabs. I really appreciate it.

I am happy to know that you can actually record few tracks at the same time. The reason I want to do that, is because I rather play a "multy" and get the parts recorded in different tracks for tuicking after rather than having a full "multy" recorded in a single midi line.

Now, about the switching: I guess you all  are right about this approach "not making too much sense " . The reason I asked, is because I wanted to know if it was actually possible. Andrew Keresztes from LASS said once in a manual or interview that he doesn't use keyswitches in a single channel. He said that he actually changes from tracks using program change (also this "program change" is a concept that I still don't understand).  I have been putting key switches manually using the mouse in the piano editor, but after doing this for a wile I find it a bit too mechanical, tedious and technical to my taste. So I have been researching on new ways to do it. Nevertheless, I think that technique Andrew is using is basicale more of the same keyswitching.

I think for now we can not avoid using keyswitches to get a realistic sound, but, there is allways a way to everything. I am exploring now with mapping the expression and crossfade to midi pedals so I can use my hands and concentrate on the playing and using the pedals to give the sound I want right of the bat instead for having to make 10 pases of automation on a single string line.

Thank you all again .....

By the way, thank you guys for telling me about the "///" simbol for the vst3. I dind't know that.

Agustin[:)]