Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,757 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,369 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• Gentlemen,

We have to keep on Native Instruments to get this problem solved. The more support tickets they see on this, the more likely they will address it..... plain and simple. 

Happy Holidays everyone!

Mr A

• Glad I found this.  This bug is inexcusable, IMO.  My workflow is significantly hampered by this.  I submitted a Support Request to Native Instruments but am not holding my breath.  Here's to hoping...

-Jamie 

• Wow. NI customer care seems to be in the dumps.

I have DP 8 running Kontakt 5 and Signal (obviously demanding external sync) and I'm getting HUGE cpu spikes when changing tempos. When I turn the ext sync off, the cpu spikes go away completely. I'm shocked to hear that NI is not responding to this bug at all.

• Same issue here using multiple instances of Kontakt 5.4.5.307 in VE Pro 5.4.13715 with Logic Pro X 10.1.1 on a Mac Intel 2.66 GHz 8-Core Mac Pro (2009) with a couple i7 custom built slave PCs. I tun off External sync in Kontakt and problem goes away, but then I can use any tempo-synced looping softwares correctly when there's multiple tempo changes in the session.

WTF!?

2.66 GHz 8-Core Mac Pro Intel (2009)

OSX 10.9.05

64GB DDR3

Logic Pro X 10.1.1

VE Pro 5.4.13715

Kontakt 5.4.5.307

RME Fireface 800 I/O

• this is from NIs official Updates page http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/official-update-status-kontakt-5-upcoming-5-5.94387/

• No more CPU spikes during KONTAKT instrument playback when manipulating the host tempo

This thread provides information about upcoming patches for Kontakt. It will be updated whenever new information becomes available.

---------
    The currently available software version is 5.4.3. Please make sure that your installation is up to date.
    --------

Upcoming version: 5.5

---------

The patch is currently in this phase:

• specification
    • development
    • beta testing
    • final testing

For an explanation of the different phases, please see the section below.

---------

The update will include the following improvements:

FEATURES:

Extended KSP format plus additional parameters for the KONTAKT engine, for optimised engine use with new instruments.

• Control Time Machine Pro voice settings from KSP
    • Change the contents of FX Slots from KSP
    • Control time-related effect parameters (Delay, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser) via KSP

Time-related parameter handling

• User interaction options for time-related effect parameters are improved, and behaviour is more consistent

Improved performance

• No more CPU spikes during KONTAKT instrument playback when manipulating the host tempo
    • Improved performance for processing MIDI CC events

FIXES:

• Fixed parse errors in Sonar Platinum
    • Automatable parameters are now updating correctly on Komplete Kontrol and Maschine hardware
    • Fixed CPU spike when changing tempo
    • Fixed crash with corrupted database
    • Fixed automatable parameters not being saved with a project
    • Fixed CPU spike when changing EQ Gains
    • Various other minor fixes

This list is subject to change, and does not necessarily list all features and fixes that will be in the final update.

• So was this fixed for anyone? It seems to still be an issue for me in Cubase when I use Ramp tempo changes at low buffer sizes. If I raise my buffer size up to max they play back fine, or if I turn off tempo sync, but I need tempo sync on for the instruments that do use it in my piece. 

So is this problem 100% fixed with other users? Is it possible to instead of using ext tempo sync, to autmate the tempo in Kontakt manually in Cubase? 

Edit: turns out this was a very specific patch causing my problem. Perhaps it has been fixed then? 

• Still awful here unfortunately....not fixed.

• Hi JT3

No, not fixed at all here.  NI reports improvements in other hosts but 'off the record' I've been told that cubase handles tempo changes worse than other hosts and that NI simply doesn't see fixing this properly as a priority given many users have reported some improvements.  Certainly doesn't help those of us with large templates.

So far as workarounds go, spreading the load across greater instances of Kontakt can help (for example, I was an avid user of Kontakt banks meaning I could load huge numbers of patches in a songle Kontakt instance - bad idea in this case) and you might find having more vi-frames holding fewer kontakt instances may also help but ymmv on this one.

Brett

• I have No issues in LPX , Studio One, Ableton Live.

• I've found another form of a work around.  (dare I call it a fix)

I have an insanely large template 1000+ instruments spread accros 6 VEP instances.  I found that not all of the 6 instances were getting CPU spikes during tempo ramps.

I then narrowed it down further by disabling external sync in Kontakt to find specific kontakt instruments that would cause spikes.  I found that in my case Action Strings were causing the spike.  If I removed them - I no longer have spikes during tempo changes.

So I'm going to go through my whole template and find patches that are tempo sync'd and causing this spike issue.  I'll then place them on a seperate VEP which I'll know to disable if I'm gonna have a tempo ramp.

I'll just have to learn to not write with those specific patches during a cue with a tempo ramp. But this way it frees up the rest of my 1000 instruments and "quarenteens" the few problem children.

I'd be curious to see if this helps anyone else.

• I have things which do not cause a problem at all, with extensive tempo track changes. I verified the Scarbee Clav., which went nuts. I needed sync for one project and Sonic Couture Broken Wurli was a slight problem in spots. Now, a workaround for me is easier because I don't have any midi track set to musical time; the timeline is warped to what the music is rather than to change tempo for tracks. So, I just deleted the tempo markers where there was a little bit of breakup. Interestingly enough, there weren't but a few spots where this occurred. I eliminated all other possible causes and those deletions cured it. So I wonder about a purported fix by NI as it isn't a SNAFU with Cubase sync + Kontakt delay per se. 

• I was experiencing the problem with jump changes in the tempo track, NB.

• What are people now doing in order to avoid glitches with Cubase/Nuendo tempo changes?

I have an orchestral track which needs lots of tempo changes and every time Cubase/Nuendo hits a tempo change node, I get CPU overs and glitches.  I've even had the odd crash.

I'm using VE Pro servers on 3 different systems, albeit with Kontakt instances only running on 2 systems (probably about 70 Kontakt instances total).  Do I need to go through every Kontakt instance and disable ext tempo sync for each one, and will that do the trick?

Many thanks for any help.

Jules