Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,720 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,894 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• Awesome, Paul, I may take you up on that. Thank you for the support. As I said before, I am convinced that VSL is the gold standard for orchestral libraries. I am sure we can figure this out.

• Bill,
    Have you experimented with the release settings? IMO they are generally quite low. Success with your further inquiries!

• As you found out, velocity-Xfade has no direct connection to legato performances. Using it will simply help improve the realism of the overall sound. Instead of simply switching between samples recorded with different intensity levels of the instrument, you will be able to blend them with a nice transition.

For legato however,

1. Legato patches will create a smooth transition between two notes at the end of the first note. For this, the first note must be already a legato patch. But that is not your problem because you said you already got all your notes as legatos.

2. There must be a small overlapp from the first to the second note. Without overlapp, it will start the performance with a newly set bow. This is a way how you can use lagato and still switch between smooth transitions and starting with a new bow. The overlapp does not need to be large but just touching will not suffice.

• thecamelot, Thanks. I will experiment a bit and then send my results via MP3 and DAW file to support if I do not have good results. I am not sure how much overlap, but 120 ticks per beat, I will try 5 ticks overlap and see how it works.

•  Actually, I nedd to revise my last statement.

I just tested it in detail again and found out that both are not true.

The first note can be something like a sustain patch for example and the second a performance patch and there will be a transition. As well there is no real overlapp needed.

Strange, I have no idea why I remembered it like this?[*-)]

But the legato effect for certain instruments is quite subtle. You can easily hear it from the trombone ensemble.

Or just try portamento instead and see if this works first.

ANother thing to consider is that the performance pathes are sampled only one octave up and down from the starting note.

• I am not having issues with the legatos in the wind instruments, just the strings. In a test file I did, I used two instances of VSL, one for violins and one for celli. Each play simple single note lines at different times. Not only is the legato rough in the violins, but the notes are not equal in volume. Some notes jump out loudly while others are barely heard. This is all at a moderately slow tempo using 8ths and quarters.

• You really need to post an example, with corresponding MIDI file, not only because it will make sure that we are hearing the same thing, but also those of us without SE can hear if it is the same when played though the full Collections.

DG