Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,489 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,815 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Expression CC offset in VI Pro?

hi viennas, is there a possibility to set an offset for expression? what i would like is a way to move the the expression fader down to zero but have a little "rest level". i can change the curve but can't set an offset for the lowest and highest level (i.e. moving knob from 0 to 127 results in expression from 20 to 100). it would help to adjust dynamics to other libraries or just make the velocity crossfade a little more dynamic when controlling velo-x-fade and expression with the same external cc-fader. is this possible? or - if not - is there hope for an update? greetings from frankfurt, torsten

• approaching it from another way - why not just set your controller to a min and max value?  (all the midi devices i have allow setting min/max values)

(I had the same issue with Velocity XFade and that's what I did to get around it  - which is a workable solution if you've dedicated a specific controller for this purpose)

• thanks for answer... i know what you mean! but it's especially for the situations i mentioned: adjusting different libraries (which are not adjustibal as goog as vi pro) to get same levels when layering and modulating. the second case is: modulating velocity crossfade by modwheel is not dynamic enough for a smooth fade out. so i set the mod wheel to velocitiy crossfade AND expression. now a fade out is smooth but it's not longer possible to play low dynamics loud enough and high dynamics are too loud. it would be great if i could use velo-crossfade from 0-127 and expression from 20-100 with the same modwheel movement!

• ah, ok got it now...   I am a Cubase user and it includes a thing called Input Transformer which allows you to translate midi CC messages.  I've never tried using it to control two CCs at the same time though - you've got me curious if it can do what you're looking for ;-) I don't think it will be the solution but I'll have a play with it later.

I did a google search for Midi Translator and came across this:

http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator

Might be worth jumping on their forum and asking if anyone had used their software to achieve what you're trying to do.  I can see how you can use it to filter out the values you don't want to send, but as you said, the real finesse is getting the values translated so that the full range of motion of the Mod Wheel is effective...

• i'm logic user... good idea to use the daw to manage the task. in logics environment it's easy to split the midi signal, transform it into two different cc's and route them together to vi. i'll try that! on the other hand: it's vienna instrument PRO! it's not a big programming task to realize the offset-feature inside vi and it would help to create great presets! it's a big point on my wish list!