Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,233 users have contributed to 42,388 threads and 255,464 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

  • Anyone running MIR + Instruments on same computer?

    Hi. Are any of you running MIR on the same computer as your instruments - say your main DAW for instance? Is that even possible, and what does it take in terms of computer power? In other words is it possible to use VSL while running MIR on the same computer at the same time? 


  • yes I do on my 12 core


    MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  •  Well yes,  you would run your VSL library on the same computer as MIR (Pro) , because MIR Pro is part of VE Pro, so your VST's sit in VE Pro which MIR Pro is now all part of.

    I run my VSL library with MIR Pro on a single computer,  but use a master computer (running Cubase) as the main DAW.  It is a 4 core i7 system, the trick to a successful system is lots of RAM (24Gb) and fast drives (WD Caviar Blacks).  I run huge busy arrangements, and it has never faltered yet. 

    But if you prefer to use untidy templates (loading everything you have - just in case you need it), then you'll always be fighting for processing power/time.

    So it's not just the system you have, it's the way you work as well. 


  • I'll be frank about how I *would* use MIR Pro. I would render everything to audio, send to VEP 5/MIR Pro as Audio Input, and use it in a pure mixing scenario, no instruments loaded, and not running any midi. MIR Pro is a serious resources beastie and I would dedicate the system to just it. (ie., as little in the sequencer as possible on the same machine)


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Cyril said:

    yes I do on my 12 core

    your post is a great waste of space. 14 lines in the signature, which is really someone bragging, and this empty post. To what extent do you run it? with what gigantic latency? 


  • Waste of space?  Calm down.  No one's on trial here.


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Christian Marcussen said:

    Hi. Are any of you running MIR on the same computer as your instruments - say your main DAW for instance? Is that even possible, and what does it take in terms of computer power? In other words is it possible to use VSL while running MIR on the same computer at the same time? 

    Hi Christian,

    Many MIR-users run VIs on the same machine - most of them _inside_ MIR Pro / VE Pro, actually.

    As long as we're talking about sample players, chances are that they won't put that much strain on the CPU, at least as long as you don't use fancy features. Data transfer speed from the disk is more important in these cases, and available RAM, of course. On my three years old Win7 developing machine I can easily use about 40 to 50 MIR Icons on a stage while controlling them from Nuendo running in the background. The used latency settings won't be low enough for proper real-time playing (1024/2048), but good enough for mixing by far.

    HTH,


    /Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

    @Cyril said:

    yes I do on my 12 core

    your post is a great waste of space. 14 lines in the signature, which is really someone bragging, and this empty post. To what extent do you run it? with what gigantic latency? 

    VSL is asking that each user puts it's configuration in the signature !!!

    The signature  is not taking disk space as there is a link to it in the message.

    My test done show you can run very heavy project using IAC, my test song is "form the new world of Anton Dvorak where tremolos are made with notes". This project play in 7.1 !

    Mir latency is set to 0 but Logic is set to 1024


    MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • As an example of a system on the lower end of the spectrum, I'm using a 2.60 GHz Athlon processor with only 6 GB of RAM. I recently downloaded the MIR Pro demo and was suprised to find that it wasn't completely unusable on my system. While it wasn't of much use for real-time playing, I could load 25 or so icons (about 3 GB) of instruments into VE Pro and run a moderately busy piece of music through MIR (Mozartsaal stage) to produce a wav file from Sibelius. For real-time playback, it gets pretty laggy with just a couple of instruments.


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Cyril said:

    This project play in 7.1 !

     

    And why do you need to use 7.1,  what format does your music end up on ? 

    and by the way,  Tremolos don't need much processing,  they maybe fast,  but they are only the same two notes  so not much sample fetching there.  A better example to try would be something like Ruslan & Ludmilla overture, very fast runs with different notes.


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

    and by the way,  Tremolos don't need much processing,  they maybe fast,  but they are only the same two notes  so not much sample fetching there.  A better example to try would be something like Ruslan & Ludmilla overture, very fast runs with different notes.

    when you have all  the strings doing a tremolo plus all the orchestra is doing a tutti it is cpu killing

    For Ruslan & Ludmilla overture, send me the Logic or the midi file, I will try it

    Best

    Cyril


    MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

    For Ruslan & Ludmilla overture, send me the Logic or the midi file, I will try it

     

     You'll need to get the orchestra score and play it in, it's about 170 bpm and loads of semi-quaver runs, and the whole orchestra do this too. I have heard one recording done at 180bpm.   This will test any system.....


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Another User said:

     You'll need to get the orchestra score and play it in, it's about 170 bpm and loads of semi-quaver runs, and the whole orchestra do this too. I have heard one recording done at 180bpm.   This will test any system.....

    Don't you have it ?

    You are a strange man, you are speaking of pieces that you have not even try on your system !


    MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

    @Cyril said:

    For Ruslan & Ludmilla overture, send me the Logic or the midi file, I will try it

     

     You'll need to get the orchestra score and play it in, it's about 170 bpm and loads of semi-quaver runs, and the whole orchestra do this too. I have heard one recording done at 180bpm.   This will test any system.....

    is that this piece ?

    http://solmire.com/download/midi/34151/glinka-ruslan-and-ludmilla-overture-mid.mid


    MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  •  Yes, that is the piece. 

    How ever, it seems to be a 14 track midi file, this piece should be scored for:-

    Flutes x2, Oboe x2, Clarinet x2, Bassoon x2, Contra Bassoon x2, Horns x4, Trumpets x2, Alto Trombone, Tenor Trombone x3, Bass Trombone, Timpani, Violins I, Violins II, Viola, Cello, Contra.  (The Violins & Viola split 3 ways too).

    So you would need 33 tracks to perform this fully,  you cannot get this from a MIDI file -  That 14 track midifile is not going to prove much.


  • Forgive my interjection here guys - since I am not a technical person - but the classical/early-romantic works that you are using to test your systems (with all their fast tempi and semi-quavers), perhaps are not the indicative ones for modern scoring requirements (except if you're of the Hans' School). Petrouchka or The Rite of Spring would be more akin to current symphonic heavyweights, I mean if you want to really know the limits of your systems. Just a thought...


  • last edited
    last edited

    @Errikos said:

    Forgive my interjection here guys - since I am not a technical person - but the classical/early-romantic works that you are using to test your systems (with all their fast tempi and semi-quavers), perhaps are not the indicative ones for modern scoring requirements (except if you're of the Hans' School). Petrouchka or The Rite of Spring would be more akin to current symphonic heavyweights, I mean if you want to really know the limits of your systems. Just a thought...

    So you would need 33 tracks to perform this fully,  you cannot get this from a MIDI file -  That 14 track midifile is not going to prove much.


    I dont mind to do a test, just provide me the  midi file !!

    Best

    Cyril


    MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • I believe the MIDI file to The Rite of Spring is available in the DEMO zone, provided by Jay Bacal. I think getting some benchmarks from such a work would be worth it.


  • Thanks guys. 

    It seems I downloaded MIR on my old computer but never tried it due lacking hardware. I hope VSL are willing to let me try it again (sending me a new trail activation code). Fingers crossed.