Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Massive move from 6 pc's to 1 - please help

Hi everyone (including VSL). 

Currently I have VSL on 6 PC's and will be transferring everything to one system. How do I best go about doing this? Can I just transfere the data files to the new harddisks? How to I handle licences?

Thanks.. (ps - I'm scarred :D)

• Oh. And I'm going from a 32bit to a 64 bit enviroment. 

•  6 PC's ?  that's got to be a record ?

I assume that all your VSL licenses are spread amongst several keys, so the first thing you'll need to do is to make sure that all the licenses are on one key, or you'll fill every USB socket up with dongles.

I would recommend a two PC solution, one for the DAW and all effect processing, and one for all the sample libraries - but one ultra fast PC probably will be OK. But having 2 PC's after 6, is still going to seem very condensed.

1. Transfer all your licences to one dongle, preferably one still within the warranty period.
    2. Make sure all software is up-to-date
    3. Copy all your own presets and matrices into the Custom data folder
    4. Copy all sample data to your new drives
    5. Run Directory Manager

There will be a few tweaks that you will need to do, but that's just about it.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@andyjh said:

I would recommend a two PC solution, one for the DAW and all effect processing, and one for all the sample libraries - but one ultra fast PC probably will be OK. But having 2 PC's after 6, is still going to seem very condensed.

I think it would depends on what the PCs are. If they are P4s, it will be a huge increase in processing power with the new system.

DG

•  Thanks for the run down!

DG. When you speak about the warrenty period. Is that only relevant for the VSL keys, or do you know if it goes for the Steinberg one I have?

I plan to update SX3. I wonder if I could do that and buy a new dongle (or whether the update required me to use the old dongle).

•  You should be able to transfer all your licences to either a new Vienna Key or a new Steinberg Key. Get whichever is cheapest.

I think both keys have a 2 year warranty. This will only help if the key breaks though. For loss or theft you will need to rely on your studio insurance. Check the fine print carefully about software and data. [;)]

DG

• Thanks. Bought a new key just to be safe. Can I transfere the licences one by one once the new computer is up (using the new computer) or must I do something on the old ones (deativate for instance). Would be nice if it could all be handled from one computer. The old ones barely work (and one does not). :)

• You will need to do it via the LCC software whilst connected to the Internet (it doesn't matter what computer). However, although it will take a while, it's fairly easy. Just plug the dongles in, start the LCC and then follow instructions.

Make sure that you register your new dongle at both the Steinberg Website and the VSL Website.

DG

• Thank you Daryl. As always you are extremely helpful. Cheers. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Thank you Daryl. As always you are extremely helpful. Cheers. 

Daryl rules! 😊

... not much that I could add to his advices. Just don't be afraid, it's not hard to do it.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library