Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• problems automating midi cc in nuendo

I'm using a locally hosted VEP Pro 5 that is connected to a plugin in nuendo. NOTE: I have verified that this does not happen when running the same instrument as a plugin locally within Nuendo. My problem is this: 1) I am automating midi modulation data via nuendo's automation and not the midi part data. In fact, there is no modulation data in the midi part. 2) If the state (value) of my instrument in VEP becomes out of sync with the automation data in Nuendo and the data is not "changing" in Nuendo, the data is not transmitted by nuendo to the plugin and thus my instrument stays out of sync with the automation data until either it changes or I touch/change it by hand. 3) This happens the most when I jump to different location in the session. Example: 1) modulation data is automated to a value of 5 by automation playback. 2) I "jump" to a location in the session where the automation data is at a constant 127. 3) The automation is not played back as it appears that Nuendo doesn't "know" that the plugin data is at 5. I say that Nuendo doesn't "know" that the plugin data is at 5 because it immediately updates the same instrument when loaded as a plugin within Nuendo. Any suggestions, fixes or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted from a different browser that will hopefully not lose the "newlines": I'm using a locally hosted VEP Pro 5 that is connected to a plugin in nuendo. NOTE: I have verified that this does not happen when running the same instrument as a plugin locally within Nuendo. My problem is this: 1) I am automating midi modulation data via nuendo's automation and not the midi part data. In fact, there is no modulation data in the midi part. 2) If the state (value) of my instrument in VEP becomes out of sync with the automation data in Nuendo and the data is not "changing" in Nuendo, the data is not transmitted by nuendo to the plugin and thus my instrument stays out of sync with the automation data until either it changes or I touch/change it by hand. 3) This happens the most when I jump to different location in the session. Example: 1) modulation data is automated to a value of 5 by automation playback. 2) I "jump" to a location in the session where the automation data is at a constant 127. 3) The automation is not played back as it appears that Nuendo doesn't "know" that the plugin data is at 5. I say that Nuendo doesn't "know" that the plugin data is at 5 because it immediately updates the same instrument when loaded as a plugin within Nuendo. Any suggestions, fixes or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

• unless nuendo is somehow different than cubase, and I can't imagine it would be, the automation in the lane, a MIDI lane, corresponds with the MIDI part, it's midi data, period, going to an instrument. There is no difference functionally. (I have experience with other people's midi that was apparently done in the project window lane, and I've had to edit [CC data] ithere, it doesn't appear to be accessible in the key editor lane. )

I am not sure what you're doing. If you are trying to send CC1 via anything other than a midi part, or what. If your approach is to send automation via a parameter VE Pro exposes to Nuendo, first, that's a novel kind of approach and there isn't really anything to be gained from it except resolution theoretically (which isn't to say, anything significant).. if you are writing it with write enabled it updates as you go. you don't need to enable write to write that automation, read enabled is sufficient. I think your life will be simpler if you send midi data from midi parts per se.

• last edited
    last edited

@strangevector said:

Posted from a different browser that will hopefully not lose the "newlines":[...]

Please follow the steps layed out below, and all will be well. 😉

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I am merely sending automation data in the track automation lane to CC1, which has infinitely better editing and interpolated edit points instead of discrete event data.

It still is sent to VEP as midi cc data, it's just coming from an automation lane and not the midi part.

• the project window automatiion lane corresponds with the midi event(s). per se. (tho it seems that once you are doing the writing in the Project Window lane it isn't accessible in the key editor lane.  However the only real difference is this write-enabled behavior)

again, if you have write enabled, the behavior you're experiencing is that it updates the automation as you playback.
    IE: If you have automation written to the right of where you are in the timeline, it might be eventually obviated this way. I think all you need to do is toggle off the W button. (That it does this with VE Pro and not say Kontakt as a plug-in or something owes to a different reporting to the DAW host of those instruments.)

the automation WILL write with only the Read button lit. It will not update with new data. 

• last edited
    last edited

@strangevector said:

automation data in the track automation lane to CC1, which has infinitely better editing and interpolated edit points instead of discrete event data.
    I do not know how to read that jargon. In fact you have the MIDI protocol and CC1 goes from 0-127 in both cases and there is no difference.

• The ui for editing automation is much better in nuendo than is the midi cc data editing.

Interpolated knots (x,y data points) instead of disctrete midi event data ... is not "jargon" it is a very specific description of 2 different ways of animating linear data over time. 

This is not my problem anyway. 

• last edited
    last edited

Jargon: Noun - the language, especially the vocabulary, peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group: medical jargon.

I still have no idea what it means. but more saliently do you get what I'm trying to say to halp you? there should be no such problem, and the only thing I know about it is that with the W button lit it will update and potentially overwrite what you have written.

• afaik, 'discrete' indicates 'non-continuous'. CC1 is a continuous controller. In the key editor lane the discrete points resolve into a line, which is not different than what happens in the project window. I can sort of imagine why someone would want the automation lanes instead, but I have no idea where "x/y" etc enters into its usefulness. At that point for me, it's jargon, ie., vocabulary from a field I am not involved in.