Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Reverb

Hi everybody. I saw that VSL SE didn't come with any reverb (or may be I missed something in the Player interface). What reberb would you recommand for using with VSL and Cubase Artist 6 ? Do you think it's better to use the same reverb on the master or to use multiple reverbs on every intruments ? Thanks for your kind answers

•  It is best to use a single reverb in Cubase as an effects channel, and use an effect send from each instrument channel. For more advanced mixing, you may want to add a few FX channels, and group your orchestra by section, and use different reverb settings per section. If you use a reverb insert on every channel, you'll kill your processing power.

Though I would advise upgrading to VI Pro, apart from it transforming the way you will work with VSL,  it has a built in reverb.

Then there is always MIR Pro to upgrade to.............

• Thanks for your answer. What reverb do you advise ? The one supplied in Cubase artist 6, for example ?

• last edited
    last edited

@andyjh said:

Though I would advise upgrading to VI Pro, apart from it transforming the way you will work with VSL,  it has a built in reverb.

Then there is always MIR Pro to upgrade to.............

hmm... could you explain to me the benefits ? (I have to say that VSL website is not very clear about the different products...)

• There are a number of videos linked to the product description page.  I think they will also give you a demo license so that you can try it directly.  But be warned:  you'll never want to go back!

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • last edited
    last edited

@achambily said:

...Do you think it's better to use the same reverb on the master or to use multiple reverbs on every intruments ? Thanks for your kind answers

Hi achambily

Here is another approach

Lots of us like it to copy the concert hall situation. It means that we assume to sit in the third row or so of a virtual concert hall (for example).

The aim is now to get the same sound-situation with our mix which the listener would get as well.

So in front of this listener are usually the string, behind the strings the woodwind section and even farther away the brass and the percussion instruments (the choir).

So it could be your aim to simulate this situation as well.

As an example:

Listen to this stage and the instruments: http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/downloads/cre-ve-presets-l_b_dry.mp3

You reconize that the soloist (violin) is very close and the percussion sounds far away.

You can reach such a mix by creating several acoustic depths. In the upper case I created 5 of them.

Unfortunately you can't reach this with just a sending knob into one reverb.

But: You open 4-5 Group channels. Insert a reverb effect in each Group-Channel. Try to create 4 different depths with these 4 reverbs.

Now you can route all the Instrument-Tracks which shall play close to the listener through the Gruop Channel with the closest sound ... and so on.

Convolution Reverbs can produce really nice depths with the Early Reflections of the "RoomPrints" . For the Tail you can take a Algorythm Reverb as well.

I produced such 3depth presets for VSL's Hybrid-Reverb. I know, you don't own the VSL-Suite Effects but the PDF for these 3-depth-presets

explains as well how to solve the situation within a DAW. 

As a further example about different depths in connection with an orchestra is here: 

Unfortunately I changed some instruments into other depths so not quite all instruments are sitting on their correct place...

Nevertheless, you will get the idea with "different depths".

Have fun

Beat

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • last edited
    last edited

Another option would be MIR Pro, of course - this application takes care for most (if not all) of those issues. 😊

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Yes, I was on the verge of advising that myself.  Since MIR is incredibly easy to use and yet creates astoundingly good mixes.  Why mess around with some second rate Joe Schmoe reverb?  There is close to ZERO learning curve with MIR.  Though if you want to, you can tweak it to your heart's content.