Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Hans Zimmer Spiccato

Hi guys, I wanted how to get that Hans Zimmer spiccato that is in a lot of his compositions. Like at the beginning of either Batman or Inception and some others. It's spiccato 16th's moving in a broken triad. (Usually i-VI-III-VII) i was wondering how to get the unique sound and exactly what notes/pattern he is using. Can anybody help me out? Thanks!

• last edited
    last edited

@MrHollandsOpus said:

(...) a lot of his compositions.(...) Batman or Inception and some others. (...) (Usually i-VI-III-VII)

What a felicitous description of Mr. Zimmer’s multifaceted writing skills...

[;)]

• What multifaceted writing skills?...[+o(]

Let's hypothesize that somebody helps out this chap with the illustrious and coveted spiccati. Then what? He'll be able to carve a glorious career out in the film-music world? Not in a billion years with 50 million other Zimmer clones already doing it, and software that provides just that with a mouse-click... It's a mystery that a company hasn't as yet released a cheap, but exclusively dedicated CD algorithm that (de)generates this one orkestral device:

"Did you enjoy Daftman? Were you confounded by the symphonic sorcery of Ineption? Wallow in incompetency no longer... At the incredible introductory price of $50, you too can masquerade as a musician by using our unique spiccato-sputtering engine - Zimmato! Just point and click.."

• Errikos (and all the other "usual suspects") - please pull in your horns and use a more restrained tone in VSL's forums. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

What multifaceted writing skills?...

Let's hypothesize that somebody helps out this chap with the illustrious and coveted spiccati. Then what? He'll be able to carve a glorious career out in the film-music world? Not in a billion years with 50 million other Zimmer clones already doing it, and software that provides just that with a mouse-click... It's a mystery that a company hasn't as yet released a cheap, but exclusively dedicated CD algorithm that (de)generates this one orkestral device:

"Did you enjoy Daftman? Were you confounded by the symphonic sorcery of Ineption? Wallow in incompetency no longer... At the incredible introductory price of $50, you too can masquerade as a musician by using our unique spiccato-sputtering engine - Zimmato! Just point and click.."

do you have an alarm that goes off when "Hans Zimmer" is typed onto VSL forums?

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

What multifaceted writing skills?...

Hi Errikos and "usual suspects",

fantastic reply!

Unfortunately, so many guys are prisoners of this kind of insane banality.

Were Kafka alive, he may write a splendid novel:

"The enigmatical case of H. Z."

Ave atque vale!

• @Miki: Glad you liked it and concur.

@civilization3: It's more like an anaphylactic shock, but I only get it when that name is followed or preceded by words such as fantastic, talented, inspired, unique, skilled, expressive, and the like...

@Dietz: Just venting a little, after having checked my savings account and tried to imagine what other composers make a year; especially absolute masters of musical economy - thematically, harmonically, polyphonically - as well as of peerlessly laconic expression/dynamic range (see? I can be nicer). I'm also attempting to fathom their veneration by a geometrically expanding contingency of admirers of lighter tastes (again...). 

• Hi everybody (usual suspects and HZ admirers),

I can only be in whole-hearted agreement with what Errikos and many others among us try to murmur, whilst blind (or poorly educated) guys just yell the opposite. Lately I have been nearly "ostracized" (by a forum) only because I dared to examine HZ's value.

Well, I used a couple of "derogatory" words, like twat and kraut, for which I'm awfully sorry. I shouldn't have.

The thing is that, when I dared to say that his "music" is more derogatory than my words and, to me, he is not a composer...I've been "crucified", because - let's be true - if you criticize a successful man, you're just (to them) a petty, envious idiot...

If you dare to say that to be in "business" does not mean necessarily to be talented or a "composer", they just start asking you a lot of questions, like: "What do you think, then, of David Guetta?"...I just ignore who this Guetta is, so I cannot reply. But successful "musicians" in our world (in this kind of world) quite often live on lucky hits, expedients and not music.

To be a composer is quite another story, as everybody can acquire. Just if wanting to learn.

All the best.

• I'll just refrain from further comment.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on