Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Xfading in Finale

Andi,

I've been reading and trying to get a handle on when/how to use Xfading inside Finale.  I have the Standard SE/SE+ combo so I think I have the patches to take advantage of velocity Xfading if I understand it correctly.  Anyway I found this post to a Sibelius user and wondered if the advice you gave applies to finale:

If you want to switch between Vel Xfade (controlled by CC11) and normal Velocity controlled dynamics with Sibelius(Finale), I recommend the follwong settings on the Perform/Map Control page.
    Expression: None (in order to avoid double dynamics)
    Vel.xfade On/Off: Any free controller (I use CC12 in the following example)
    Velocity crossfader: CC11

In Sibelius (Finale) just insert one of the following MIDI commands (as Technique (Expression) Text) to switch between Vel Xfade on and off:
    ~C12,0 (turns Vel Xfade off)
    ~C12,127 (turns Vel Xfade on)

When Velocity Xfade is turned off, velocity commands from Sibelius (Finale) will control the dynamics. When it's turned on the velocity values will go nowhere, but Sibelius (Finale) sends CC11 values simultaniously and they will control your dynamics.

• Hello winknotes_282!

I recommend using Velocity XFade for strings, woodwinds and brass with Finales as well as with Sibelius. Make sure that Finale sends CC11 data as well as velocity for dynamics. This can be set up on the Human Playback Preferences/Dynamics & Volume page.

By default CC11 triggers the Vienna Instruments expression slider. Go to the Vienna Instruments Perform page. Activate Velocity X-Fade. Then click on Map Control. Go to Velocity crossfader and select ControlChange/Controller 11 as source. In order to not have double dynamics (Expression and Velocity X-Fade), it is also recommended to set the source for Expression to none or to a different ControlChange number. If you want to turn Velocity XFade on and off during a piece, you should also assign a controller to Vel.xfade On/Off and create your own Expression with the Finale Expression tool to send the MIDI data.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on