Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,476 threads and 255,916 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• VST Expression in MIR Pro

VST Expression in VE Pro/MIR Pro don't work in server mode. (The virtual keys in the VI PRO GUI don't move while I'm pressing the configured keyswitches, so VI PRO seems to get the commands.??) Using ipMIDI in the same MIR Pro template - standalone mode - everything is working. Are there special settings in VE PRO/MIR Pro for MIDI Programm change commands? (The settings in VI Pro should be fine since it works in the same template.) Some help much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Frank

• Are you using the VST3 version of VE Pro plugin? VST3 plugins doesn't send Program change message. You can use the VST2 Version but it's limited to one midi port. You could use midi CC or keyswitches instead of program changes. If you are using Kontakt banks, there's a multiscript to convert keyswitches to program changes.

• Thanks a lot, Fred. Didn't know it - and I'm quite disappointed. One of the best features in Cubase not fully usable? What's the reason for? Thanks for the hint with KONTAKT. Seems for me I'll try to use the VST2 Version with more than one instance - hoping that works. And I'll get a deeper view in the manual of VE Pro. Sorry, didn't so after release anymore. Nice to have this place for quick help! Best Frank

• last edited
    last edited

@doubleattack said:

Thanks a lot, Fred. Didn't know it - and I'm quite disappointed. One of the best features in Cubase not fully usable? What's the reason for? Thanks for the hint with KONTAKT. Seems for me I'll try to use the VST2 Version with more than one instance - hoping that works.

And I'll get a deeper view in the manual of VE Pro. Sorry, didn't so after release anymore.

Nice to have this place for quick help!

Best

Frank

The reason is that Program Changes are not supported by VST3. There is a new thing called Program Lists, but unfortunately Native Instruments hasn't made a VST3 version of Kontakt yet, so if you want to use Program Changes, you have to use the VST2 version. Obviously keyswitches work in both versions, so that might be an option.

DG

• Thanks DG for the explanation! Going through the manual I didn't find any hint. This can't be used in Cubase for VST Expression? (There's a in the choice only.) So even for a full Vienna Lib. orchestra I can't use the Cubase Expression Map in VE PRO/VST3 ? With Keyswitches I have the event editor crowded with unnessecary notes; so I really love VST Expression of Cubase - and lot of my setups (depends from projects) are done with it, so actually I don't want to switch over. Means to use VST2 version with more than one instance.

• Remaining stuck to VST - Expression I have to use the VST2 Version of VE/MIR PRO. Ok. (Not ok, in fact quite stupid). Anyway, if I use more than one instance in MIR PRO (to have more MIDI channels) with the _same_ venue - are there any issues known? I've tried out to use _different_ venues, it's possible, but not as stable like in a common use (one venue). So would be nice, if some experienced guys could give some hints. Thanks in advance! Frank

• I realised I'm quite stupid assuming the VST 2 version of VE PRO implement 18 C h a n n e l s only instead 18 P O R T S. Of course that's enough even for a huge orchestra. :-) My mistake is coming from long work with legacy MIR; the design for MID PORTS is different. Does anybody know how much is the different using resources between vst2 / vst 3 versions? (In case I have no need for Expression Maps :-)) Would it be a big difference?

• Correct me if I'm wrong but,

I think there should be no noticeable performance difference in that case cause your DAW is only processing the VE Server interface. The major part of the process is on VE Pro side.

VST2 vs VST3 performance should only be perceptible when using multiple VI pro or Kontakt directly in your DAW.

Cheers

• Thanks, Fred!