Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,736 users have contributed to 42,255 threads and 254,897 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 4 new post(s) and 35 new user(s).

• I'm just an audio guy, but I will make your suggestion known to our marketing team. [H]

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@mboc said:

On a side note, I've found the plug Decapitator by Soundtoys to be very helpful in creating harmonic distortion, taking the edge off, coloring (esp when used in parallel).

Mike-

I have noticed the same thing. What settings do you apply on the Decapitator? One has to be very careful with that plug!

thx.

ds

• I tend to use it in parallel, with the mix at about 50% and slight drive. I use it mainly to add some darkness and mix it accordingly. Sometimes you lose depth of field and have to roll it back.  I usually prefer the Vulture Culture settings.

Mike

• Thanks Mike!

Where do you insert it? Before or after your other effects? 

Appreciate the help.

• I typically run it in parallel, like you would with a compressor. The wet/dry mix allows you to do this as an insert, or you can dedicate a bus to it depending on your needs. I like to place it before effects on its own bus, but it can be used anyway you see fit. I've had good results using it after effects and even at the mastering or mix bus level. I personally like the T setting for strings, emulating the respective "saturation/warmth" setting on the Culture Vulture. Saving my pennies to get the real thing. The P setting is more for distortion and less for saturation, but has its own merits. Ever hear a rock bass through one (the real one)? Pretty sure Radiohead uses it on the bass on "Bodysnatchers."

Mike

• Just wanted to post that i decided to start a new thread for tape saturation/ ahrmonic distoprtion and VSL if anyone can/ wants to contribute. (didn't want to hijack this thread).