Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,091 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Sibelius / slur interpretation

Hello Andi,

I think is a simple question, but I coudn't figure out the problem by myself. Can you tell me why when I have a quarter slurred with another one over a measure, the sound of a crescendo is not smooth but rather abrupt on the second quarter ? I mean the second one is not prolonging the velocity from the first note  but rather starts louder all of a sudden !

Thank you,

Bogdan

• Hello Bogdan!

I guess you are not using Velocity XFade then. How to do that is explained in the "Optimizing Sibelius Playback" manual, page 15.
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/68/141/460/576/655.htm

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Hi Andi,

Thanks for the tip...it's always better to have a look on that awsome manual. I answered to you earlier, but for some reasons it didn't get through .

All the best

Bogdan

•  Hi Andi,

I followed your advice and also the Sibelius VSL manual and everything seems to work fine in terms of cresendi and decrescendi. However,  these parameters are not working well when I'm writting 2 voices ( e.q. 2 violins on the same stave)? I tried in different ways to write this: by adding a second voice ( layer 2) or using the same voice and adding a second interval. Unfortunatelly when using slurs the second pair of notes haven't followed the signs and sounded louder than it should be. Please let me know if there is a fix for this or if I'm doing somehting wrong ... or maybe do I have to activate something in vi pro 2?

I

Thank you,

Bogdan

• Hello Bogdan!

When you write two voices on one staff, both voices will use the same articulation, because they are playing on the same channel. If you are using Velocity XFade, both voices will additionally play with the same dynamic. If you want different articulations at the same time, you will have to use two staves. If you want different dynamic levels, it would be enough to temporarily turn off Velocity XFade. In this case you will have to take care to assign the dynamic marks correctly to voice 1 and 2 exclusively.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Andi,

The sample that I have belongs to the fisrt category that you're describing (When you wite two voices on one staff, both voices will use the same articulation, because they are playing on the same channel. If you are using Velocity XFade, both voices will additionally play with the same dynamic) but for some reasons I can't get them to work. If you have a little  time to spare, I can send you the file ( it's not a big one and is only in one place to look) ..I honestly don't know what to do to make that part sound as I want ( slurred).

So please let me know if you agree and what format do you want me to send ,

Best

B

• Hello Bogdan!

You can send your score and Playback Configuration (xml file and data folder) to support [at] vsl.co.at
    Depending on your system and Sibelius version, the Playback Configurations can be found in one of the following folders:

Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 6\Playback Configrations

or

Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data\Avid\Sibelius 7\Playback Configrations

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 6\Playback Configrations

or

Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius 7\Playback Configrations

Mac OS X:

Users/your username/Library/Application Support/Sibelius Software/Sibelius 6/Playback Configrations

or

Users/your username/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7/Playback Configrations

Best,

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on