Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,776 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Notation Programs: Do They Export Articulations?

Hello, I understand that notation programs will select the proper articulation according to the notation. Does this also mean that the articulation information is exported to a midi file if wanted? Thanks! Marty

•  In the case of Sibelius to standard midifile (imported into Cubase) - no.

• Hello Marty!

You can export MIDI files with Finale and with Sibelius, that include the keyswitches and MIDI CC data created by the Finale Human Playback Preferences or Sibelius Sound Sets. So the answer is yes.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@andi said:

Hello Marty!

You can export MIDI files with Finale and with Sibelius, that include the keyswitches and MIDI CC data created by the Finale Human Playback Preferences or Sibelius Sound Sets. So the answer is yes.

Thank you both for your response! Andi, I have recently downloaded the demo for Sibelius. I need another composing tool like a i need another whole in my head, you know what I am saying? 😉 But the idea of having a program that will apply the correct articulations based on the notation is exciting enough though. I am still getting the instruments set up in the Sibelius demo. Would working with Sibelius (for example or Finale if it is better) make articulation choices based on my notation marks? It sounds like I am misunderstaing this part. (I hope not...lol!) maybe I will still need to apply my own keyswitches or MIDI CC data? Thank you! Marty

• Hi Marty!

Your notations marks will take care of the key switches. How to set up Sibelius with Vienna Ensemble is explained in our tutorial video at the following location
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1348/1594/1245.vsl

and in the "Optimizing Sibelius Playback" manual, which can be downloaded here:
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/68/141/460/576/655.htm

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thank you Andi! I am almost set up in Sibelius now. (thankfully, busy)

Is the keyswitch information then somehow stored when exporting to standard MIDI file from Sibelius also?

Thanks and Best,
    Marty

• Hi Marty!

In order to get the keyswitches and MIDI CC data into the MIDI file, simply export with the option "The current playback devices" activated.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Ahhh... (light bulb is seen for many miles above my head) starting to come together. Thanks Andi!

• In defense of Finale......... [A]   As Andi responded earlier: "You can export MIDI files with Finale....that include the keyswitches and MIDI CC data created by the Finale Human Playback Preferences...."

Human Playback in Finale is a feature that automatically interprets standard musical notation markings (hairpin crescendos/decrescendos, articulations, dynamics, technique indicators such as "con sord.," "col legno," etc.) and translates them into MIDI keyswitches and controller numbers. Of course, in terms of how consistently and accurately it does this.......your mileage may vary. I've found it to be a skill that takes time to master and at which to become fluent, if what you're looking for is a near-human level of playback accuracy.

Andi has provided a very useful Finale-formatted .MUS file (it's in the User Area on this website) that you import into the program from within the Human Playback Settings dialogue box. This file enables Human Playback to "play nice" with Vienna instruments. You can also (if you dare) create your own customized Human Playback settings file when you become adept with both Human Playback and how it works as well as with the VSL instruments and how THEY work. You already seem to know what you need to know about how MIDI works.  [:D]

The Finale equivalent of this community forum is over at forum.makemusic.com (choose Windows or Macintosh), and there are several people there (myself included) who use VSL instruments with Finale along with Garritan (which is now owned by Finale and is an integral part of default Human Playback design), East West, and other 3rd party sample libraries. At least one of them has posted a custom made Human Playback settings file designed specifically for VSL instruments, and that has been EXTREMELY helpful to the Finale/VSL community.

Andi works closely both with the Finale tech people and the Sibelius tech people and my experience is that, between his efforts and the efforts of very experienced Finale end users both here and at forum.makemusic.com, the VSL instruments are becoming easier and easier to use with Finale. I don't use Sibelius and so cannot comment on that environment, but I would imagine from what I've read here that those folks would say the same.

One suggestion: whichever program you use, go ahead and export some test music to a .MID file and upload it (after applying Human Playback or, if you use Sibelius, whatever their equivalent is). I'd be curious to know what the results are in comparison with what your goal is.

dg

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on