Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,768 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,925 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 32 new user(s).

• Needing help with Full Version of Harp Library in regard to glissandos and dominant chords

HI to the forum,

I'm having trouble trying to work out which patch in the harp V7 slow glissandos, will give me the dominant chord of F major for an arrangement I'm working on for someone.

I've tried all the patches by putting them in a series of keyswitches, and having one patch with just single notes on, and I just can't seem to work out if I am not using a keyswitch or something in each of the glissando patches to get an C7 dominant chord that will lead me into an F major chord.

I'm playing a patch, and then hitting an F note from the single harp notes, and I'm not getting the C7 chord - well, that's what it appears to my ears that I am not getting it correct.

I can see "E#" mentioned, so I'm guessing that is F. Now, I am not sure whether that is meaning "F7" or the dominant of the same.

I must be doing something wrong here, but I am not sure what it is I am doing that's wrong, so if someone could give me a hand here, that would be great.

I have the Harp patch/matrix manual and I am looking at this while trying the different patches also, so I can check what I am doing.

thanks for any help I can get with this.

best,

Steve[:)]

• Hello Steve!

The concert harp is not able to perform glissandos on all dominant7 chords. The ones that are possible to achieve are available (B, C#, E, F#, G#). A C7 chord simply can not be played with a glissando. If you just need the sound and no player to ever perform it, you could take the B7 (7V-1) glissando and tune it up with the pitch wheel.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Andi,

well, thank you kindly for your reply. I do appreciate your help here greatly. After trying so many times with this, I couldn't work out what was wrong  - it was me who was wrong! For some reason, I always thought the harp could do anything in regard to chords/glissando's, and now I stand corrected here.

I will take your advice and use the pitch wheel then. The glissandos sound so amazing brilliant and beautiful that I am quite happy to use the pitch wheel.

I have just been experimenting in Cubase. I am using  the patch "07 7v Major Slow speed", and the patch number 2 out of the 5 of them which, at pitch bend control setting of 0 in the VI Pro 2, gives me B major arpeggios at it's orginal recorded pitch.

I am using a setting now of 44 between the 0 and 127 and this gives me a transposition, of a semitone that matches with a C7 chord of F major of a piano sound on another track. So, that is my problem solved.

However, is there some way I can tell that 44 is the exact pitch bend that will give me a spot on pitch bend of exactly a semitone?

Thanks if you can let me know the extra info, and thanks for the info you have given me already. That has been very helpful and it has solved my problem here.

best regards,

Steve[:D]

• Hi Steve!

If your pitch bend range is 200 cent, pitch bend
    64 will leave the note (or chord) as it is,
    32 will tune it down a half tone
     0 will tune it down two half tones
    96 will tune it up a half tone
    127 will tune it up two half tones.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Andi,

thank you so much for the extra information there. I do appreciate your time answering here,  and the information you have shared with me will be really helpful in setting the tuning for the harp when I want to transpose recorded glissandos.

thanks and best regards,

Steve[:D]