Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Finale alternating instruments

Hi,

in VE I set up Trumpet on Ch.1 and Muted Trumpet on Ch.2.

In Finale I write Trumpet in Layer 1 and Muted Tr. in Layer 2 on the same staff. The staff name is "Trumpet".

Human Playback (HP) works as expected for Layer 1, but nothing gets interpreted from Layer 2.

It's not that HP ignores Layer 2 on a general basis...

Suggestions appreciated.

• Hello Fratveno!

Playing the muted trumpet entered in layer 2 works fine on my machine. It changes to channel 2 and also staccato and legato marks work fine.
    Are you sure your notes are actually entered in layer 2? On my machine notes on layer 2 are coloured red.
    Please also make sure to set the channel for layer 2 in the Score Manager window.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hello

Everything is correctly set up. The red notes play back on channel 2, but only with the staccato samples,

HP ignores the initial switch to SUS samples and everything thereafter...

I'll send you the file, so you can have a look at it...

• Thanks for sending me your score. It seems that it is only possible to change the articulations on one MIDI channel. This channel can be set in the "Expression" line in the Score Manager. I have set this to "2" instantly and didn't have any articulation changes on channel 1. That's why I first thought changes work on both channels. Sorry to have no better news.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  No need to use layer 2; just create a staff expression to change MIDI channel when you want to switch to mutes, and another to change back.

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • That's what I thought too, but for some reason it doesn't work for me with VST, only if I route midi to a stand-alone instance of VE...

I'll check it again, thanks

• last edited
    last edited

@Bill said:

No need to use layer 2; just create a staff expression to change MIDI channel when you want to switch to mutes, and another to change back.

Well, believe it or not, this now works for me too. I only tried it this morning before I started this thread. No sound from ch. 2...
    (only minor issue seems to be that the default SUS patch won't get selected automatically at the start of the piece (unless a dummy staff with the same channel is present probably)

What are those small deamons inside Finale called? [:)]

Happy New Year!

•  Their name is legion!

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on