Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Vienna General Questions

Hi, this is my first post and I was directed to Vienna Symphonic Library as being a very high quality in terms of music making but I had a few questions. What program is used to compose the music? Is it Vienna Instruments Pro 2? What exactly does Vienna Ensemble do and is it used for music composition? It sounded like Vienna Symphonic Library is a composite of a large array of instruments that could be used for various other music making programs. Is this accurate or am I completely not understanding how this works? Any answers would be greatly appreciated and would help me understand more about VSL before making such an investment.

•  A simple answer to this would be that, Vienna Instruments Pro 2 (VI Pro) is the sample library player, and Vienna Ensemble Pro (VE Pro) makes it multitimbral.

VI Pro can only play one sound at a time, VE Pro can play lots of instances of VI Pro. Neither are a composing program. You would need something like Sibelius, that then hosts VE Pro. Though, to record everything, you are more likely to need something like Cubase (referred to as a DAW).

You don't need VE Pro if you run Cubase, because Cubase can run many instances of VI Pro, but VE Pro comes into it's own, when you network two computers together, and you will then wonder how life was working before you had VE Pro.

• I think I understand now. So what it sounds like (forgive me I'm VERY new to this so I'm not familiar with how it works) is that VSL consists of all of the instruments that I could use, and that I would use VI Pro to use the instruments, VE pro to utilize the instruments properly, and then I would use a third actual composition program that can run VE / VI, however there are some composition programs that do what VE pro does so I may not even need VE pro. Is that about accurate?

• Although a slightly over simplified description, yes you are right, that is how it all works.

• last edited
    last edited
    [quote=F&M]I think I understand now. So what it sounds like (forgive me I'm VERY new to this so I'm not familiar with how it works) is that VSL consists of all of the instruments that I could use, and that I would use VI Pro to use the instruments, VE pro to utilize the instruments properly, and then I would use a third actual composition program that can run VE / VI, however there are some composition programs that do what VE pro does so I may not even need VE pro. Is that about accurate?[/quote]

Welcome & thanks for your interest in our products.

Please keep in mind that you don't necessarily need Vienna Instruments Pro software to use VSL's samples. All libraries come with the free Vienna Instruments player that offer all functions and features you will basically need.

-> http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1344/950.vsl

There's also a free version of Vienna Ensemble:

-> http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1347/336.vsl -> Download Link

It is important to know that you will at least one Vienna Key (or any 3rd party eLicenser dongle) to run VSL software:

-> http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/442/395/561/562/251.htm

There are many tutorial videos available on our website to get you going easily, and of course manuals for each and every of our products:

-> http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1348/243.vsl

In case you need individual support for your decisions, please write to .

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ok andy that makes some sense. Dietz, thank you very much for the reply. So I don't need VI pro or VE pro to use the library? Like, lets say I were using music program Fruity Loops, I could use the VS library inside of Fruity Loops and it would work correctly? I'm just curious because the tutorials looked as though I needed a specific program to use the many instruments. I know andy had mentioned a third party program that I would check out, but is there any program that works best? Also, is it better to use VE/VI in conjunction with a specific program?

• You will at least need the free Vienna instrument player ("VI"), otherwise you can't access the instruments' samples.

As long as Fruit Loops is able to host multiple VST- or AU-Instruments and offers some kind of MIDI recording/editing, you're actually ready to go, but I have to admit that I don't know this application. It might happen that you will soon aim for more elaborate MIDI options like you would find in programs like Cubase or Logic.

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Awesome, thank you very much the both of you :) has made this a lot easier to understand