Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Bass, Contrabass and rare Instrument placement

Hello

I am setting my orchestral template for MIR

I could not find the poster where it show the placement of all the instruments of the orchestra

I have found some on the web, but they do not place all the Bass and Contrabass instruments (trumpet, clarinet, trombone, sax,flute, bassoon...)

Also they not not show the placement of rare instruments like : Cornet, Euphonium, Flugelhorn,Viennese horn, triple horn, Cimbaso, Heckelphone, basset horn,organ, guitares.....

Does somebody has a map with all the instruments

Where will you place modern instruments (synth, bass guitare....)

Thanks in advance of your help

Best

Cyril

P.S. MIR PRO is FABULOUS

A question : at the back of Vienna Konzerthaus GrosserSall there 3 rectangle area, what are they ? can you place musicians there ?

• last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

[...]

P.S. MIR PRO is FABULOUS

A question : at the back of Vienna Konzerthaus GrosserSall there 3 rectangle area, what are they ? can you place musicians there ?

Thanks for the friendly words, Cyril.

I assume you're talking about these areas of the Venue Map, don't you?

Like mentioned in the RoomPack Manual, these areas are part of the off-stage "HotSpots" (they are not available in the stripped-down "Stage"-version of a Venue, to save RAM). Click the "HotSpots" button to see all the valid positions in a MIR Venue.

In case of the Konzerthaus' Great Hall, you're talking about the so-called Angel's Choir, roughly 20 meters above stage level:

Like the name suggests, this is sometimes used for "heavenly voices" or solo instruments which are supposed to come from the distance. You would have this view from up there:

HTH,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Cyril, 

I don't know if this will help. http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/~ahugill/manual/seating.html  I printed this pages and use them as starting points in stage seating plans. 

Regards, 

Staphen W. Beatty

• Cyril,

They'd simply be seated with the related section or would be played by the same player, for instance, a bassoonist may double on contrabassoon (ie pick it up for sections of the piece it's required, then go back to bassoon). If there's dedicated contrabassoon, it would generally be seated to the left of the others, though of course all things may vary. Specific decisions would be made for individual pieces or concerts, but the general rule is that the primary instruments are towards the center and alternates (bass instruments or higher ones, such as piccolo) sit towards the outside.

My main recommendation though would be to just get out and see what real orchestras do in person!

As for contemporary instruments, there are no rules but what sounds good to you.

• Many thanks

Best

Cyril