Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Loading non-VSL libraries in VEP4

Please forgive me.  I am sure the answer exists somewhere, and yes, I have tried searching for it.  I have read the manual.  I am probably just an idiot, but I have tried.

I have a slave PC (#2) running Win7 64 bit Professional with VEP4 installed (and all versions of VEP4 are the same across all computers.)

I have a master PC running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit.  My master PC is running ProTools 9.0.2.  

On my Master computer I also have some libraries installed, and have set it up to be a slave as well.  Let's call this instance slave #1.

I have been able to get the routing right, and to get everything running from Slave #1 to ProTools via VEP4, but only for the Epic Orchestra Library.  The documentation is adequate for explaining how to get VEP to work with Vienna Instruments.

What I cannot do is get VEP4 to recognize any 3rd party libraries.  I have tried to do this through VST properties, with no success.

Can somebody point me to a well written article or FAQ for setting up VEP4 to host QL PLAY and NI Kontakt libraries?

I should note that upon installation of VEP4 i was asked where my VST folder was, and it didn't have any idea where to look for it.  I don't really use VST, so have no idea where that folder is.  Normally products I install seem to know where to look for these types of folders.  I needed to do something, and so I created a new folder called "VSL vst."  I imagine that this might be part of the problem.  Is VEP4 looking in THAT folder for VST instruments?

I've got to say, this is amazingly frustrating. 

• http://www.google.com/search?q=vst+folder+win+7&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

which got me: http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/880/Usage+of+Native+Instruments+products+under+Windows+Vista+and+Windows+7+64-bit

the only other host you mention is ProTools, which plugs in RTAS, which isn't VST. I can't be sure you have vsts.

but tha latter link should give you a general idea of where plugins are found in Windows.

• Thanks for replying.  Unfortunately, this information does not help me at all.  I am concerned I might have confused people with the comment about finding the VST folders.  That is simply a bit of information that might help somebody know if I went astray somehow.  Even still, knowing where my VST folders are located isn't my problem -- it is knowing how to load 3rd party instruments into VEP4.  If the solution to my problem involves the location of these VST folders, I still need for somebody to explain what to do with them.

Is there somebody here who is running QL libraries (such as Hollywood Strings + Brass) that can direct me to instructions for how to run them in VEP4?  I also need to get these up and running: Orchestral String Runs, a bunch of Sonic Couture stuff, 8Dio, Tonehammer, NI Komplete, etc. . .

•  Create a folder (perhaps call it "VEP Plugins"), then drag the "play_VST_64.dll" file into that folder, also drag any other plug ins you need in there as well.

Then go to VE Pro and under VST Settings in preferences, make sure the "VEP Plugins" folder is enabled there.

That will allow VE Pro to see the plug in's. You may need to close VE Pro and open it up again for the VST's to be found. If the jack plug icon is not there, then VE Pro cannot find the folder.

The VST plug ins must be 64-bit, otherwise you will need to run the VE Pro 32-bit version. If you need to do this, then it is best to have a 32-bit plug ins folder (like "VEP32 Plugins"), and point the VST settings in the 32-bit version to this folder.

• well if you created a dummy folder, which you seem to have described, and pointed VEP to it, there won't be any instrument to load, exceot for VI apparently.

in VEP, the icons to the left at the bottom are: Add VI Pro; Add instrument (VI); Add plugin; Add input (for multitimbral vsti output assignments); Add new bus.

Clicking on the third of these, 'Add plugin' will give you a drop down menu, per vendor, with a list of the plugins from that vendor that VEP has found in your directories. EG: East West>Play. Before this particular list is populated [I think before the icon can even appear], it has to know from the directory.

• last edited
    last edited

Andy, many, many thanks!  This was the missing link for me.  I am currently creating templates, and hopefully everything will make sense from here.

@andyjh said:

Create a folder (perhaps call it "VEP Plugins"), then drag the "play_VST_64.dll" file into that folder, also drag any other plug ins you need in there as well.

Then go to VE Pro and under VST Settings in preferences, make sure the "VEP Plugins" folder is enabled there.

That will allow VE Pro to see the plug in's. You may need to close VE Pro and open it up again for the VST's to be found. If the jack plug icon is not there, then VE Pro cannot find the folder.

The VST plug ins must be 64-bit, otherwise you will need to run the VE Pro 32-bit version. If you need to do this, then it is best to have a 32-bit plug ins folder (like "VEP32 Plugins"), and point the VST settings in the 32-bit version to this folder.