Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Does VI PRO 2 negate Vienna Ensemble?

Probaly a dumb question but I used to use the free VI Ensemble to load in intruments on different MIDI channels. I just bought VI Pro 2 and can't figure out whether I can assign a specific MIDI channel to a Matrix. I hope this makes sense. In other words, like in Kontakt, you have the ability to load in 16 different sounds on 16 different MIDI channels. Can I do this with VI Pro 2 or do I need to launch multiple instances for each instrument I want. (I understand that they will all be Vienna Library Instruments (i.e. no kontakt, omnisphere's etc)

All the very best,

Darren 

• Hi Darren, 

In most cases, you will load multiple instances, each receiving on a separate MIDI Channel. 

Vienna Instruments PRO is not a multi-timbral instrument.

Best,

Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  •  Hi Paul,

Thank You for the quick response. Are there any concerns about additional memory being used up each time an instance is launched? (memory used by VI Pro 2 not the samples themselves) For instance if I load up a 40 piece orcehstra I'll need 40 instances of VI Pro 2 running. Will I be able to host the same amount of instruments as I did with the older version of the player and Vienna Ensemble? (hope this makes sense)

Sorry one more question, Will VI Pro ever be multi-tmbral or will I need to by Vienna Ensemble pro?

Great work on the video tutorials by the way. I learn a lot!

All the very bst,

Darren

• If its the same samples, no additional memory needed. It doesn't negate VE...totally different thing. 

• My question was really about the amount of ram an empty instance of VI Pro 2 takes up. It seems a tad inefficient to load up 40 or so instances of a piece of software when in Kontakt, for instance, you load it up once and populate it with up to 16 different instruments. In the Kontakt scenario the playback engine is only loaded once and then it's just the samples that add to the memory footprint. If it takes a large chunk of memory to just load up an emypty instance of VSL Pro 2 it will gobble up a lot of memory on a larger template. The fact that it is not mult-timbral was a surprise to me.I'm just hoping I can get a large palette of sounds together on my quad core machine with 8 gigs of ram.  I have to say that VI Pro 2 is very powerful. I am enjoying building up "Symphobia" like layered patches. Well done VSL!

Darren

• Well, I can't answer the ram footprint exactly-but, it's negligible. Vienna Ensemble is what you use to be multi timbal. It hosts multiple instances of vip. I, for one, think Kontakt is terrible technology. I use it, because I have to for certain libraries, but it's horribly latent...and has an awful GUI...it is a sampler, though--thus would be multi timbal. It's not an instrument. It's something that loads instruments...so, effectively, it is VE's equivalent product. As long as they provide VE with library purchases, you can work either way, right? You want to load a single instance of VE and load however many instruments to different channels, you can. You want to just load in all the violin articulations into vip2, you can. The only thing I would wish for is actually a Cubase/host thing--that's the ability to name instances of vip2 in the VI rack so that I don't have to keep track of what has what loaded. 

• If you use VE PRO and you have multiple instance of one instrument, VE PRO will load the samples in memory only once

If you have different instruments it will load them depending of the size of the sample buffer you have define in Directory manager.

If your samples are on a HD you have to leave "standard" if they are on a raid of HD, on a ssd or on a raid of ssd you will be able to load less in memory

It is not recommended to use multiples VI in on song as it will use more CPU resources than using in a VE 

Best

Cyril

• Are you saying that you can load VI Pro 2 into the older free Vienna Ensemble? When I load up Vienna Ensemble the instrument player defaults to the older version of the Vienna Instruments player, not VI Pro2.

• As long as you have the latest versions of everything, VI Pro 2 does work in Vienna Ensemble all OK 

• last edited
    last edited

Hi dpasdernick2,

@dpasdernick2 said:

Are you saying that you can load VI Pro 2 into the older free Vienna Ensemble? When I load up Vienna Ensemble the instrument player defaults to the older version of the Vienna Instruments player, not VI Pro2.

Please install VI PRO 2 AFTER you have installed VE, then it will show up like before. VI PRO needs to be installed separately from now on.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Paul,

Can you point me to the link on the VSL site that has the latest version of the free version of Vienna Ensemble? Also, do I need to uninstall VI Pro 2 and then reinstall after installing Vienna Ensemble?

All the very best,

Darren 

• You go to USER AREA, SOFTWARE, and then on the left side VIENNA ENSEMBLE.  (not pro).

After that you install VI Pro 2.  Just download the newest version and install it, do not uninstall your older version.  Even if you are currently running the newest version, you will need to re-run it after you install VE.

Maestro2be

• Why would separate vip2 instances use more CPU than ve? Is that a "Mac/Logic not multi threading well?" thing?

they share ram...and should be LESS CPU, since there's no extra mixing environment overhead. I will download the latest VE and try that...see if it fixes the GUI CPU spikes I only seem to get inside cubase. 

• last edited
    last edited

@popmann said:

Why would separate vip2 instances use more CPU than ve?  

Many test has been made and it is the result ! 

You have to ask why to the VSL programmers [;)]

•  Sorry guys but still having trouble. I downloaded the latest version of Vienna Ensemble and installed it. Then I downloaded the latest version of VE PRo 2 and installed it. When I launch Vienna Ensemble it looks newer than my old version so that update worked. When I add a new intrument the old Vienna PLayer (not my newly purchased VBE Pro 2) posp up in the Vienna Ensemble window.

Any idea as to what I am doing wrong? Do I need to uninstall something. (the old VE player?)

All the very best,

Darren

• Whoops...

Figured it out. Clever little button in the bottom left corner allows you to load in VI Pro and the one next to it VI Legacy...