Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,766 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 35 new user(s).

• Ring Ring

Hi Andi, Made a lot of progress on the basics, now onto custom patches. I want to create a patch for laissez vibre - using open E on a violin. Sibelius has L.V is in the dictionary, and uses controller 64 (sustain). So I need to figure a few things out: First, how do I make this trigger a new VSL solo strings patch for violin? ( I imagine there is video or resource for this, if so please point me at it). Second is some basic guidance on what patch could be easily modified to emulate an open/ringing string? And the third part is really a Sibelius question - I want to to do it within a single violin part where for instance the violin is playing an E on the A string (fingered), alternating with the ringing open E. Will I need to use two voices perhaps? Can I set voice #2 to trigger another midi channel perhaps with my new open string patch on it? I've also posted this question on the Sibelius site but got no answers so just hoping someone on this side has already figured it out. Cheers. Rangi

• .... and had an answer from the Sibelius site: use a hidden stave for the open strings. Also read previous posts re ~N etc as text commands. But some direction on creating an open string sound would still be useful.

• Hello Rangi!

If you are using the "VE Strings" sound set and the "Vienna Symphonic Library" House Style, you have three free custom cells available, where you can load whatever patch you need. These cells can be triggered with the Technique text commands "custom1", "custom2" and "custom3". More information about this can be found in the "Optimizing Sibelius Playback" manual, page 11. The manual and the latest versions of the House Style and sound set can be downloaded here:
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/68/141/460/576/655.htm

Sorry to say, that apart from the open G string, there are no open strings included with the Solo Strings collection. If you are using the "VE Strings" sound set, I would use the Techinque text command "rep" for your given example. This way you will trigger the repetition samples and will not get the same sample repeated.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • I've got the solo strings set. What patch do you think would make a good start point to edit, perhaps increasing the sustain (?), to emulate the open e sound. So something with no vibrato - it wouldn't need to ring on for very long, as I'd write it as a semiquaver?

• Hello Rangi!

Increasing the release may be a good idea to emulate the ringing of an open string. Please notice, that the sustain without vibrato articulation is only included in the extended content.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Thanks Andi

• You can find an open E string in the Solo Strings I ext. Library in the natural harmonics sustain patch, but you have to play C6 instead of E5.

• thanks for that - I'll check it out.

• Hey Masssmover - if your still there - that worked perfectly, exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks again.

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on