Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,098 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 35 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• All-Out Orchestral Assault

Here is my latest piece,  a quiet little lullaby for bedtime featuring 32 foot Bombarde organ stop, massed fanfares, 12 ff horns, simultaneous gong-timpani-bass drum crashes and a full symphonic development of three themes.   I put this on the MIR forum because it is raw MIR output but since it is also rather raw musically I decided to attack people here with it as well.  WARNING: Not recommended for atonalists.  It is shockingly, even dangerously traditional in harmony...

• Very exciting piece, bravo! [Y]

• thanks matteo for listening!

• Sounds great! I have one very petty criticism - the bells (glockenspeil?) sounds a bit loud and dry in the mix. :)

It would be great to hear this with a real top flight orchestra. VSL is certainly sounding as impressive as you could get from samples, but still, I can imagine a bit more thickness, emotion and sweeping majesty from real strings.

• Yes, high strings are always a problem even with the best in the business, also the only aspect in VSL's Star Wars that sticks out as "samply". I really enjoyed the finale in this Bill, nicely done!

• I love 32' Bombarde organ stops.!!!!!  Anything with the word Bombarde in it actually.

Musically very good and Williamsish fun. Like Erik said the high strings in sampling is a problem for most of us. At times I felt a little bit of Greig coming on. The timps sound like they have more bollocks but I would still check out some others unless VSl have some percussion libs coming out round the corner. The so-called dry environment may not be the best way to record timp samples.

Very nice.

• thanks Dagmar, Paul and Errikos for listening - I appreciate your taking the time.   You're right about the bells - too clear.  

"a bit of Grieg coming on" - yes, I often have that early in the morning though it usually passes.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on