Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,417 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,786 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Well, this is crazy.

Despite the long post I wrote trying to carify things I have to admit that the Event Plugin DOESN'T WORK. Period.

Using the environment approach I set up a multi instrument with 15 channels. Everything worked fine. I added an Event Input  connected to this first VEP instance and loaded a few kontak instruments. Of course the I/O plugin is inserted as required in the manual.

Try my sounds. Fine. It works great. Press the start key, play the master keboard and get a horrible latency even with the setting is none in the VEP plugin window. Stop Logic and GET NO SOUND PLAYING MY MASTER KBD!!!

Go back to the arrange window in Logic. Select any of the first 15 channels and play. Good. There are sound. Then choose any of the channels belonging to the Event Input instance. Get sound too with no latency. Great. Start the sequencer and play. Again latency. Stop the sequencer and get no sound, even when I try to play in the screen keyboard.

So I guess the Event Input is a GREAT idea. Too bad is not working in Logic. The only reason I upgraded was to use this nice feature but still I'm stuck with 16 channels per instance. Don't know if the other users affected by this problem have some kind of solution.

Any ideas from Vienna?

Thanx

• Cojoncio --

I can't comment on using VE Pro 5 with the external approach, but I did have problems with it also.  To explain:  as I introduced additional Event Input non-multi-timbral instruments in Logic (and thereafter set up External Instruments, after having set up other "multi-instruments" in the Environment), what I discovered was that Logic would NOT select the appropriate External instrument.  For ease of discussion, I'll call this arrangement the "External Instrument Set Up."  In other words, when SEVERAL Event Inputs were set up, Logic would select the MOST RECENT set of External Instruments, even though I had selected a track that contained an External Instrument associated with an EARLIER instance of the Event Input. Only the MOST RECENT External Instruments would be selected, regardless of the Track chosen in Logic.  Put otherwise, when I selected EARLIER tracks with EARLIER Event Inputs, as I watched the Library to the right of the Arrange window, the correct External instrument was not being selected.

I CAN offer one suggestion that did help me however.  After I had originally set up an External Instrument Set Up, I was having pops and crackles with the instruments that DID work, as well as significant LATENCY problems that I could NOT cure by increasing latency settings in logic and VE Pro.  I DISCOVERED that I was using the WRONG network instance of my Slave computer.  I do not know enough about network set ups to explain this, but when I tried to CONNECT the VE Pro 5 instrument to the Slave, I was given TWO choices, that is, TWO IP addresses (e.g., "10.0.1.9" and "169.255.43.102") for the SAME Slave computer.  I tried an experiment.  What I did was give the Slave computer a FIXED address, NOT using DHCP in the Network settings of System Preferences of the SLAVE computer. Thereafter, I selected the FIXED address for the Slave computer when I CONNECTED the VE Pro 5 instance in Logic, and the clicks and pops and latency issues, which you seem to be describing, disappeared!  I have tried this on the simpler multi-timbral software instrument set up with equal success.

The folks at VSL are not in the business of teaching us how to set up networks, but it WOULD help, if they could provide a SIMPLE network setup involving one Mac Airport setup, one Master computer and one Slave computer.  I think I have a typical OSX set up, with my Mac Airport for Internet access, my Master computer, and the Slave computer, ALL capable of providing DHCP service in their respective network settings.  So, at one point, I had THREE DHCP servers going at once (I think).  I believe that what DHCP does is provide IP addresses within a local network, so that the various computer members of that network can communicate via the address provided.  Perhaps having THREE DHCPs turned on leads to confusion and latency issues I experienced.  A user on another forum, who uses the Mac Mini in Logic as a Slave computer, suggested that I TURN OFF the WIFI network (the fan at the top the screen), so that the ONLY network the Mac Mini is communicating with is through the ETHERNET cable.  Again, in the Slave Computer I opened up Network in System Preferences and assigned the Slave Computer a FIXED IP address, turning OFF DHCP.

All this said, I have NOT gone back to TEST the External Instrument Set Up, using my new network settings.  At some point you like to get back to the music!

Hope this provides some help.  I have tried to be REALLY clear in my explanation to help others who are not as far along in computer and Logic knowledge as you are.  I have enough trust in this forum, that if I have made mistakes, they will be SWIFTLY corrected.  :)

Steve

• Hi Steve.

Thanks for the info. At this point I'm using VEP on a single computer, so I have no network issues, but I'm sure your clear explanation will help other users using several computers networked.

Regarding our prblems, I've been digging around this forum and found this very useful thread:

http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/30297.aspx?PageIndex=1

There is a solution for the muted Event input. The trick is to insert an I/O plugin in every single instance of VEP, not only the Event Input but also in the VEP instance where the Event Input is connected. You just need to do the same I/O set up as described in the manual. I've tried it with the environment multitimbral setup and it works!! No latency, no muted tracks [:D]

Karel (from Vianna) reported that it's a good workaround but the downside is that Logic throws all Live mode tracks processing on a single CPU core. At this point I'm working on a small project with two VEP instances, the first one with an event input attached with another 15 midi channels plus Vienna Convolution Reverb, Vienna Multiband (in the master bus), a few Logic instruments and a few audio tracks in the arrange window and it really works fine. There is one node reaching up to 50% while two or three others don't go beyond 5-10%. Also the readings in the CPU VEP meters are about 25-30%

I'll be able to push the system in my next project but as for now is working OK.

I'm also waiting for a final solution to this problem as Karel said he's gonna focus his efforts in this issue, making it one of his priorities.

BTW, I also support the idea of getting some feedback from Vienna on how to set up a simple network. Just a PDF would be enough [;)]

• What is advantage has the Event input  compared to IAC ?

Looks like we are having the same problems

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

What is advantage has the Event input  compared to IAC ?

Looks like we are having the same problems

Don't know about the problems with IAC but this is starting to be annoying.

As I said before, inserting the I/O plug into the main VEP instance fixes the  absence of audio and the huge latency, but is not a solution. It hogs one of the cores so there are artifacts and nasty noises.

It's a big issue  with one of the most used DAWs aout there (Logic). I'm still wondering how the beta testers and the staff didn't see it [:|]

• " I'm still wondering how the beta testers and the staff didn't see it"

As cojoncio said, I can't understand how come vsl staff didn't see this big problem.

I know karel is working hard to fix this problem but there should a lots of other staff and beta testers.

don't get me wrong, despite this issue VEP is a very usefull program.

But I spent one week with vep5 problem and I'm back to vep4.

vep5 has a great concept and will be very usefull especially for logic users.

I hope It will woking as promised asap 

• last edited
    last edited

@cojoncio said:

It's a big issue  with one of the most used DAWs aout there (Logic). I'm still wondering how the beta testers and the staff didn't see it

The issue is not on Logic side, on my 12 core Macpro I have hardly any cpu load on the meter of Logic

On the CPU meter of my VE PRO I can read 35/40 % load

On the CPU meters on my MAC the 12 CPU are under 50 % and the 12 thread are around 30 %

Looks like there is a bug ; that they forgot to read the midi off of some notes, this causing hangging notes

I am going to try to split my big VE in two to see If I can get more notes played !

One question, if a VI 2 is not used does it put load on VSL engine ?

------------------

Concerning the Beta tester, this is for sure they did not do there job !

I have propose to Beta test ; they refused !!!!

1st trial I do I find THE big bug !!!

I have found other bugs just in one session using only VE Pro 5 (without MIR)

I dont know how VSL treat there Beta tester, I have been spending a lot of time to help VSL testing VE PRO when they improve the engine for the SSD, I had to make a remark to get a thanks, i did not get any rewards.

So if they treat there beta tester like this, I am not surprise that we found quite a few bugs

If you want to get a good job you must reward every work.

I was thinking to buy MIR for Xmas and my birthday, I am going to wait they fixe this bug !!

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

Yep. As I've said in another thread, this is a bug. When the play bar is pressed the notes sound with a huge latency. When it's stopped there are no sound coming out from the Event Input tracks.

As for the beta testers, I'd rather make no comments. And I'm sorry to hear Cyril's situation concerning his testing for VSL.

@moviescoring_30579 said:

VEP is a very usefull program. vep5 has a great concept and will be very usefull especially for logic users.

I can see several users are switching back to VEP4. For me VEP5 is pretty stable (as 4 was) and I upgraded just to get rid of the 16 midi limitation in AU, but at this point is completely useless. I paid for nothing.

Really hope this get fixed soon

• The solution is on the horizon. An update will be released as soon as possible.

• last edited
    last edited

@Keyzz said:

and I just spent  300 bills  for nuttin  

What is nuttin ?

• "Nuttin" is the opposite of "sumpin".  :)

Steve

• last edited
    last edited

@Steve_DC said:

"Nuttin" is the opposite of "sumpin".  😊

Steve

sumpin is unknown in the English to French dictionnary ;)

• My 94 instruments template now work with  Logic 9, VEP SERVER PRO 5 and 1 x VEP 5 and MIR PRO

It sounds great !!!!

Sometimes I get hanging notes on very heavy parts, It is working 95%

If you need help, send me a PM at cb dot blanc at numericable dot com

Any idea for the best buffer size setting for a SATA III raid 0 of 4 x ssd and a SATA II SSD ?

Best

Cyril

• A solution to use multiple ports without the event input plugin is currently in testing here at VSL. We hope to get the update out as soon as possible.

• Now that would pretty awesome!  

• So far it works fine already. We just need to have it more thoroughly tested before we release it. I'm right now running 16 midi ports to one AU plugin here myself, giving 256 midi channels to one VEPro instance.

• Teaser... [;)]

• you can send it to me I can test it with my 94 ports and my cpu exterminator song [;)] 

• Does anyone know if this got resolved? A just posted a similar problem in a new thread.

Thank you.

d

•  D -

There is a new version of VE Pro 5 just out, version 10309 that's supposed to fix most of the problems.  You use a special Environment set up to get around the 16 instrument limit and give you control over volume (CC 7) of each.    There's a file, VEP Multiport Layer.logic, that you get from VSL to set up the Environment. 

VSL reports, however, that there is a problem in Logic in which notes are sometimes dropped, and there is nothing they can do about it.  VSL says they have contacted Apple about it.  The report on this remaining issue is contained in a sticky thread posted at the top of the Software forum:  http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/31587.aspx.  I'm hoping the problem isn't too bad, or Apple fixes it (good luck), as I do NOT want to learn another DAW.  If Logic problems are serious and persist, I think VSL should advise us which of the DAWs out there, that can be used on an Apple Intel machine, have the fewest problems with VE Pro.

Not all good news, I'm afraid.  Steve