Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,766 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 35 new user(s).

• Natural volume in MIR query

The Natural volume in MIR is great concept, as it makes sure the right instruments and dynamics are used. But I cannot get my strings loud enough, if I use Orchestra Violins, Natural volume sets them to -13.5, and even with velocity levels of 127 they just never seem loud enough.

Obvioulsy I can over ride the natural volume and set them higher, which is what I do, but I can't help feeling that I am doing something wrong. Surely 14 violins at full dymanics should work at the Natural Volume level?

When I use chamber strings, they go to -19, so my problems are even greater - are 6 violins really that quiet? as just one tubluar bell (-6.5) over powers them.

• One Tubular Bell can be _incredibly_ loud, yes. 8-o

;-)

Regarding the concept of Natural Volume, we had some discussions on this topic recently, eg. -> http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/29838.aspx

In a nutshell, Natural Volume won't (can't!) be a one-size-fits-all solution for any kind of arrangement. Actual settings will depend a lot on context, chosen venue, and of course personal taste. It is meant to be seen as a starting point for quick sketches, but you will have to adapt these settings manually in any case.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  OK,  I was trusting the scientific approach of MIR more than my judgement, but I think a little lift in level for the strings works best for me.

I'll give the tubular bell player a smaller hammer.