Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• VI pro 2 and Mir Pro

Hello! So now I won't need so a lot of RAM memory to create large projects in Vienna Mir pro with VI pro 2? Will it be fine with 16GB of RAM with large projects with new software and etc...? - not 24 or more? Thanks in advance

• This will depends of your I/O, if you have a raid 0 of HD, a ssd or a raid of ssd ; it will depends also of your SATA ; a card SATA III will be better .

best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic --- Studio equipped in Dolby Atmos 7.1.2
  • Hi tony95, 

This is true if you are working with SSD drives. 

"Large projects" are always hard to define.... but with SSD drives, you can load up to 10 times more samples, so that should help with the calculations. 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Paul,

I'm concerned about the costs of all these SSD drives.

Do only samples have to be on the SSD drives to gain this 10 x advantage or does the O/S and software also have to be on an SSD?

And could I get away with just two SSDs for the whole symphonic cube or is 4 a lot better?

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Dave,

Yes, SSD drives are not cheap.

Yes, only your samples need to be on an SSD drive (and you can mix drives, if you want, so you would place the samples you rarely need on a separate sATA drive).

2 or 4 drives depends on the size of the drives.....

We have just pointed to a special offer for the Angelbird SSD drives, which we are using in Vienna.

Best,

Paul

•  Oooh! that's uncannily clever of you and the Angelbird people.

The only remaining question (other than convincing myself i can justify the cost) is will 4 x 120GB SSDs be sufficient for the whole symphonic cube (you can see all the libraries I own) will they all fit comfortably on four 120 GB drives?

Thanks Paul.

• Hi Dave, 

I don´t have the sample content here with me, but it should be rather easy to find out how much space your VI Collections need...

Best, 

Paul

•  Hi Paul, you're quite right but I won't be at my VSL PC for some time and thought you might have an idea. I'll check it later bt I have afeeling 4 120GB SSDs won't be enough.

Can I ask one more question.

I note you can get the PCI card with onboard memory. Do I understand it correctly that that is for loading the OS (WIN7 in my case) onto the PCI card and boot the PC from the PCI card?

What about all my other software currently on the C/drive HDD. Will I still be able to run everything else whilst the OS is operating from the PCI card?

Or have I hopelessly misunderstood.

• Hi Dave, 

The Symphonic Cube is around 400 GB, so 4x120 GB would be just fine. 

Unfortunately I´m the wrong guy to talk to about the technical detais. But feel free to contact Angelbird directly!

Best, 

Paul