Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,328 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• controller cc questions

Hello, I'm a Chinese blind musician. I just purchased and installed VSL super package, and ma having a sighted person to build up templates (the interface is not accessible using screen readers). I can use Evolution UC33E to assign cc messages to certain controls in VI pro, but there are many things I can't figure out. 1. In the manual, it says CC28 is turning on Vel Xf, and CC2 is for this xf. But after assigning my button and slider to them, nothing happens. I can, however, control cc14 to in/decrease reverb wet level. on the basic view page, the person only found cc's 1, and 14. Why can't I control the rest? 2. What does sustain crossfade mean? It appears in matrices such as flute I perf universal. Regards Haipeng

•  Is the Velocity Crossfade button turned on?  It's in the Perform View.

• My appologies, I tried to post a screen shot of the page I'm talking about but I forgot that you are blind and probably can't see it anyway. 

• Hello Haipeng

Welcome in this Forum and in the Family of VSL!

Vel-X-Fade

Here is another approche: Even if the manual tells about a CC for turning on Vel-XF you need to control the 1:1 setup of your Vienna Instrument. 

I have written a short tutorial "how to manage the possibility Vel-XF":

http://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/vi-tips--tricks-4/index.php

The site explains the instructions more ore less by screenshots. So you will need the support of somebody who can

see these images. But I'm sure you will have such a help until you have prepaired your VIs.

Further, you are able to choose the CCs for yourself for most of the functions - just as you do it with Vel-X-Fade.

Crossfade

We have the possibility to load two articulations into one cell of the common Vienna Instrument.

So you can combine the sustain articulation with the staccato articulation. So every sustain starts also with a staccato

This is just one example. Of course you are able to combine every articulation with a another one.

Normally both of the articulations sound with the same volume. But...

1. You can fix the Volume of both on a certain level

2. You are able to blent from one into the other with "crossfade" (sustain into legato for example)

Personally, I use this possibility very rarely. It's a bit a "mess about with samples"

Good luck

Beat Kaufmann

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • hhp, welcome to the forum.  I happen to be a legally blind musician.  I would like to encourage you to keep at it, and if/when you have any special issues or unexpected things turn up, don't hesitate to get in touch with the VSL staff.  I have found them to be most helpful, and most willing to listen to feedback from those facing special challenges.

If it happens that you have some residual eyesight (not sure if you are total or have some residual vision, though am guessing you are total), but either way, I would strongly suggest learning to use the basic VI before buying or attempting to learn VI Pro.  The basic VI has a very clean GUI, and the font size is about as good as it gets.  If one already knows the basic VI, VI Pro becomes easier, however, the GUI of VI Pro is rather problematic, even with some degree of magnification.  It can work, and is a superior tool to the standard VI, but it is definitely more difficult to manage given eyesight issues.  One cetainly can achieve success with just the basic VI.

One of the great things about VSL is that as your friend sets up templates, it is possible to keep similar articulations in the same location for every instrument.  That is extremely helpful when one must at least semi-memorize templates.