Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,327 users have contributed to 42,591 threads and 256,456 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Vepro Router question

Dears all,

i have just expanded my setup from 2 to 3 mac for VePro, my question is : actually i am using a NetGear router DG 834 GT, it seems to be equipped only with 10/100 ports. Do i have to purchase another router with 10/100/1000 ? Any suggestion about wich one ?

Thanks in advance.

-A

• you just need a gigabit switch

• Thanks i've got.

-A

• This topic is of great interest to me.

I also have a basic Sky dsl router which I believe is 10/100.   My router which is the hall cupboard has the ethernet cable running to a kind of breakout box, also in the cupboard (the box is part of the house networking).   Then in my studio, I have ethernet sockets (which the connections come directly from that breakout box).   

I'm a bit in the dark about the gigabit switch.   How does the gigabit switch turn the router into a 10/100/1000?    If someone could explain that would be great thanks.

Al

• A Gigabit switch does not turn your router into a gigabit router, but all devices attached to this switch can communicate at 1GBit, while an uplink to a router would still run at 100MBit.