Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,389 users have contributed to 42,223 threads and 254,774 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Is a programmer needs help, there is a coreaudio devellopper forum that is manage by Midi's and Core Audio's god

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Honestly, some of this stuff really gets old.  One must remember that when Apple went to 64 bits, they pulled the rug out from under all of their third party developers by unexpectedly changing their initial 64 bit o/s specs.  VSL, along with everyone else was absolutely stuck.  There were very real reasons why 3rd party developers were able to be deliver products for the 64 bit Windows o/s, but not for Mac. 

Of course, customers blamed VSL, and others, for not producing immediate products for Apple's new o/s, when it was entirely a result of Apple's behavior.  What makes it more awkward is that Apple was something less than honest with consumers regarding their claims about their 64 bit o/s.  As in this thread, customers still blame VSL (and others) for producing "inferior" products for Mac, when the source of the problem traces to weaknesses within Apple's own o/s design.  Apple, in may ways, is their own worst enemy.  Great platform, has the advantage of being a closed system (theoretically means fewer stability issues), and arguably the more "elegant" solution, but of late a major pain for developers, and in at least some ways not the technological leader they used to be (an absolute reversal from Mac's early days).  As they have morphed into a giant innovative consumer electronics company, their former core business (and the market that kept them afloat for many years) - computers for high-end artistic/creative content developers, has become a very minor portion of their overall business.

Perhaps I simply should have said +1 to Asher's comments.

• 1. So simply switching to Windows will give me performance benefits? A bootcamp running Mac Pro is indistinguishable from an equivalently powerful PC?

2. I need to use OSX on my master to run DP. Any networking issues I should be aware of when communicating Mac-PC?

• last edited
    last edited

@inwinterhesleeps said:

It is really disappointing to hear what I suspected long ago... that the VSL programmers are biased towards Windows. That benchmark link really is just so silly, I expect more form VSL. I would bet that none of those programs get as much attention and expertise on the Mac side as they do for the Windows side, and who knows what kind of clunky workarounds they implemented to get that software that was developed on PC to work on Mac OS. Perhaps none, perhaps several, but we don't really know do we?

I am simply stating reality here - that most (all?) x-platform software performs better on Windows than on Mac. We (and others) use x-platform frameworks to be able to deliver software for both platforms. It is true that some (I believe all?) of these frameworks perform better on Windows than on Mac, which is one of the main reasons software appear snappier on Windows. To completely throw away the code and keep two separate branches of code for Mac and Windows separately, is just not a real solution for a small software company. It would be way too costly, and would take too much time.

Then you have the issue with the constantly changing "rules" for the Mac platform. First, there was PPC and Carbon. Then there was a sudden switch to x86, and Cocoa was added to the palette. Then we were told Carbon would not go to 64-bit. So the story continues...

Most of the specific platform efforts from our side actually go towards solving issues on the Mac platform. A big reason for this is the wide variety of combinations possible on Mac, compared to Windows. On Windows, you have x86 and x64, Win32 gui and VST 2/3 format. (With the very rare occasional Win/RTAS user). On Mac, you have 4 architectures - x86, x64, ppc, ppc64. Add to this AU, RTAS, VST2, VST3 formats, some supporting Carbon views only, some supporting Cocoa views only, some supporting both. Since we are not developing every piece of code on our own - we rely on 3rd party frameworks for a variety of things - we are also relying on these frameworks to implement support for whatever radical change Apple decides to push through at the moment. 

The Apple shift to Cocoa-only for 64-bit operation, was probably the toughest one for most developers. Cocoa comes with some benefits (Carbon is terrible and badly documented), but also a lot of drawbacks. Large Cocoa apps using lots of widgets, which is exactly what audio apps are doing, tend to get slow, simply due to how the Cocoa framework works. I remember Apple recommending to keep Widget count to below 100 with Cocoa apps, something which is just not possible for a modern audio app. You could easily notice the decrease in responsiveness when Logic switched from Carbon to Cocoa, I believe in Logic v8. Somhow everything got "sticky" in mouse/keyboard interaction with the gui.

There are many, many other core technologies that also simply work faster on Windows than on Mac, due to the way the kernel, OS, SDK, compiler tools etc are put together. For certain things there are workarounds to be found, sometimes there are not. We at least are doing everything within our powers to make it better.

• Hi All,

It must be tough (for Martin) being in the middle of all this. But returning to the OR, I too am interested in running Bootcamp.

I am (was) a die hard Mac fan, but since Lion am thinking to the future and where Apple is headed.

The original thread was really asking: Is Bootcamp as efficient as a "normal" PC running windows? (The question of whether PC is faster than Mac does seem to have been answered.)

I would like to also ask:

If I intall Windows 7 as a Bootcamp drive, do I need to transfer my VSL library to EXFat drives or NFTS drives, or will the recent HFS+ Windows 7 driver that Bootcamp 3.1 provides, allow library data to be read just as fast, by windows bootcamp, from the HFS+ drives that the library is sitting on at the moment?

It's a big question - or rather it's answer will be big. I want to "try out" windows on bootcamp for Nuendo and VSL, but don't want ot burn any bridges yet. My various SSD drives were quite an investment. I only want to re-format (or buy more of them) if there is a speed necessity.

Another question: I also run (under OSX obviously at the moment) 2 Sonnet SATA E4P Pci eSATA cards. These run a dream on Mac. I believe they run under windows, but don't knowif they will run under Bootcamp.

An finally - will the eLicenser dongles all be happy bunnies too?

Whoops - one more question. Must we install a 64 bit version of Windows 7? And will that allow both 64 and 32 bit instances to work together as they do on the Mac?

Anyone in the know, please feel free to chime in (ideally without any emotional Mac vs PC ramblings).

Thanks

Ben

• Ben,

For what it's worth, I use Windows 7 in Bootcamp on my master Mac Pro and get a 7.3 Windows Experience Index rating (of a possible 7.9). This is a very high rating. 

MOH

• last edited
    last edited

@benbartlett said:

Hi All,

It must be tough (for Martin) being in the middle of all this. But returning to the OR, I too am interested in running Bootcamp.

I am (was) a die hard Mac fan, but since Lion am thinking to the future and where Apple is headed.

The original thread was really asking: Is Bootcamp as efficient as a "normal" PC running windows? (The question of whether PC is faster than Mac does seem to have been answered.)

If I intall Windows 7 as a Bootcamp drive, do I need to transfer my VSL library to EXFat drives or NFTS drives, or will the recent HFS+ Windows 7 driver that Bootcamp 3.1 provides, allow library data to be read just as fast, by windows bootcamp, from the HFS+ drives that the library is sitting on at the moment?

It's a big question - or rather it's answer will be big. I want to "try out" windows on bootcamp for Nuendo and VSL, but don't want ot burn any bridges yet. My various SSD drives were quite an investment. I only want to re-format (or buy more of them) if there is a speed necessity.

Another question: I also run (under OSX obviously at the moment) 2 Sonnet SATA E4P Pci eSATA cards. These run a dream on Mac. I believe they run under windows, but don't knowif they will run under Bootcamp.

Whoops - one more question. Must we install a 64 bit version of Windows 7? And will that allow both 64 and 32 bit instances to work together as they do on the Mac?

Ben, the only questions i can answer are these:

1. There is possibly a difference between a Bootcamped Mac Pro and a PC in terms of performance, but it may not matter at all, and in any case performance will be better than you'll get in OSX, so it is a win  win situation.
    2. Nuendo will perform much better in Windows than OSX.
    3. Use Windows 7 64bit. You can use either Nuendo 32bit or 64bit and also both versions of VE Pro.
    4. eLicenser tends to work better on Windows than OSX, whereas iLok tends to be the other way round.

Hopefully others who have experience of using the same drives on both platforms will be able to answer your other questions.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@mohurwitzmusic said:

Ben,

For what it's worth, I use Windows 7 in Bootcamp on my master Mac Pro and get a 7.3 Windows Experience Index rating (of a possible 7.9). This is a very high rating. 

MOH

This is quite normal as in our Mac we use Xeon processors, and those are used on servers in the Win World

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@benbartlett said:

Hi All,

Anyone in the know, please feel free to chime in (ideally without any emotional Mac vs PC ramblings).

Thanks

Ben

Ill be also very interested of a benchmark Logic on a master Mac and VSL on a slave Mac used with OSX and with WIN 7

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

There are many, many other core technologies that also simply work faster on Windows than on Mac, due to the way the kernel, OS, SDK, compiler tools etc are put together. For certain things there are workarounds to be found, sometimes there are not. We at least are doing everything within our powers to make it better.

I appreciate the hard work in supporting both platforms, however, it seems to me that the points you expressed would simply be the other way around if the VSL team were primarily programming for Mac and then supporting Windows. Coming from a Logic background I think I'd find Cubase a bit awkward and problematic and vice versa.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

I appreciate the hard work in supporting both platforms, however, it seems to me that the points you expressed would simply be the other way around if the VSL team were primarily programming for Mac and then supporting Windows. Coming from a Logic background I think I'd find Cubase a bit awkward and problematic and vice versa.

See, we are developing our code for 3rd-party x-platform frameworks, which in their turn support Windows or OS X. We usually develop on Windows, since the development utilities, compilers etc are faster and better than the offerings on Mac. But the code written is the same, even if we would write it on a Mac. Most companies developing for more than one platform work this way.

For VI Pro, Vienna Imperial and Vienna Suite (plus the connector plugins of VE/VEPro), we have actually developed our own x-platform plugin and gui framework from the ground up.

• Thanks for those answers guys! Really useful to know - I am about to order a copy of Windows 7 64 bit. Gulp.

And we are all making progress with our posturing, which is great too. ;)

On the subject of PPC support, I believe I was a user that rather loudly asked for this. Just FYI, I am finally decommissioning my remaining PPC, at least as a VE PRo server. It will remain in the studio to run legacy plugins only, as inserts via an audio card.

However, presumably one could run VE Ensemble (any version) with hardware Midi/Audio I/O, and not worry about being "version compliant" between the other machines? This being a final solution as and when VSL do actually drop PPC support.

Still needing an answer about HFS+ performance under Windows 7....

Best Wishes

Ben

• I was never happy about HFS+ performance with MacDrive, so I would recommend you to format your drives as NTFS if you plan to run Windows.

• last edited
    last edited

@benbartlett said:

Thanks for those answers guys! Really useful to know - I am about to order a copy of Windows 7 64 bit. Gulp.

And we are all making progress with our posturing, which is great too. 😉

Best Wishes

Ben

There never was any posturing. At least not from "our" side. Only presentation of facts. [;)]

DG