Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,506 users have contributed to 42,234 threads and 254,827 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• Make VE Pro MIDI channels persistent?

Hey guys, would it be possible to make the created MIDI channels persistent in the system? Cubase suffers from more than 4 ports that are created on the fly. When I open a project it does take ages to load because Cubase has to create the MIDI ports. Or maybe there is another solution to this? Cheers, Stevie

• Hi Stevie, 

Please tell us which OS  you are working on, and also, with which software and versions (Cubase, VE PRO....). Also, is this about a local instance or over network. 

How long does this take in seconds, and how can I reproduce it?

Thanks, 
    Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hello Paul!
    I'm on Windows 7 x64. Using Cubase 6 x64 with VE Pro VST3. (latest) VE Pro runs locally.

- In the VE Pro server application Set the amount of MIDI ports to 8 or 16
    - you don't need to load instruments into the server
    - load Cubase and create 4 VE Pro instances in the VST Rack
    - save the project and close it
    - reload the project
    = it takes Cubase about 30 - 50 seconds to load the project (it's busy creating the MIDI devices)

Here a post from Karel where he refers to the problem:
    http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/p/29669/190841.aspx#190841
    Cheers,

Stevie

• Hi Stevie, 

Ah, now I understand. Yes, the more ports, the slower Cubase gets.... I don´t know how hard it is to implement persistent MIDI Ports/Channels, but let´s see what Karel says. 

Right now, we are REALLY busy getting ready for VE PRO 5, MIR PRO and VI PRO 2, so I´m afraid you might have to wait a little. 

Thanks for your understanding!

Best, 

Paul

• Hi, 

Just talked to Karel. He said that a solution for this is not possible, from our side. 

So I can only repeat what he posted in the other thread: 

"Actually, there is a slowness in initializing the VE Pro VST3 plugin the more MIDI ports it has. This is due to a workaround required to properly support MIDI CC messages, resulting in a rather large amount of dummy automatable plugin parameters, which Cubase seems to need some time for to setup in the project. It's advised to set the MIDI ports setting to just the amount you need and not more for that reason."

Best, 

Paul

• Hey Paul, thanks for your reply! I will get in touch with Steinberg and see what they can do. Cheers, Stevie

• last edited
    last edited

@Stevie said:

Hey guys, would it be possible to make the created MIDI channels persistent in the system? Cubase suffers from more than 4 ports that are created on the fly. When I open a project it does take ages to load because Cubase has to create the MIDI ports. Or maybe there is another solution to this? Cheers, Stevie
    there is another solution to this, decouple VE Pro from Cubase, the load time for a project is MUCH faster.

• Oh they are already decoupled!