Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,761 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Vienna Instruments Pro - MIDI Channels

Just curious, why is there no way to select a different incoming MIDI channel for each matix in VI Pro?  Will this be added in some future update?

Perhaps VSL has a good reason for not allowing this, but it seems counter-intuitive to have to use a separate instance for every instrument/matrix.  It seems like it would use extra, unnecessary resources.  Its nice to have my strings in one instance, brass in another, etc ... like you do in a single instance of EWQL Play with each instrument using its own MIDI channel / track in the sequencer (up to 16, though I only use 6 at the most).

I know I can set this up in VE, but I am trying to avoid it.  VE makes getting to the instance of VI Pro to make adjustments a little more of a pain (more windows open, extra steps).  I also don't see the real benefit of VE if I am using one machine along with libraries from other developers.  I don't have any interest in VE Pro at this time (I don't think I need it - maybe when I get to a point where I require more than one networked machine).

• I have the same question. See my other new thread here involving using VEPro with Digital Performer. Paul has posted that this topic is covered in the manual, but not really. It doesn't work. I need to find out how to address separate MIDI channels within one AU instance in VEPro, not to mention, multiple AUs! Nobody has come forward with an explanation of how to do this. This is why I bought VE Pro in the first place!!!! Greg

• Hi, 

This is the system we went for: 1 Vienna Instruments instance = 1 MIDI Channel

This allows to create multiple matrices and access them quickly. You can even load the same articulations in different combinations to get the most out of your VI Collections. Shared Memory makes sure that no sample is loaded twice. 

Regarding multi-timbral plug-ins in VE PRO... Maybe I´m missing something here, but I simply don´t know how to explain this better than I did in the manual, but I´m always open to suggestions!

You can also contact me at , best with some screenshots and an explanation of what you are trying to do. 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • "This is the system we went for: 1 Vienna Instruments instance = 1 MIDI Channel

This allows to create multiple matrices and access them quickly. You can even load the same articulations in different combinations to get the most out of your VI Collections. Shared Memory makes sure that no sample is loaded twice.
    "

But couldn't you offer a default MIDI channel "All" or "Omni" for each matix with the option to assign a specific MIDI channel?

• Hi, 

"Everything is possible in the software business", if I may quote our developers [:)]

But there is already a multi-timbral host for Vienna Instruments available, and in our eyes, the way matrices are set up, it absolutely makes sense!

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • VI or VI Pro is not a multi-timbral engine like that. With an engine that is, eg., Kontakt, you set the multi for omni and the instruments within that to the channel you want. It works. Not all engines work exactly the same: Trilian takes channel 1 as the parent and a channel 2 assignment seeks a second instrument in the multi, if absent it's a message with no target. TBH this is a matter to search the manual for the particular multitimbral instrument. 

As per channel changes in a matrix, that follows the fact of *not multi-timbral*, it's expected that you are sending one part to one instance. The one part can do everything you've set in a matrix, or preset, so the old need to set a multi up in Kontakt to obtain multiple articulations has been obviated.

• last edited
    last edited

@civilization 3 said:

VI or VI Pro is not a multi-timbral engine like that. With an engine that is, eg., Kontakt, you set the multi for omni and the instruments within that to the channel you want. It works. Not all engines work exactly the same: Trilian takes channel 1 as the parent and a channel 2 assignment seeks a second instrument in the multi, if absent it's a message with no target. TBH this is a matter to search the manual for the particular multitimbral instrument. 

As per channel changes in a matrix, that follows the fact of *not multi-timbral*, it's expected that you are sending one part to one instance. The one part can do everything you've set in a matrix, or preset, so the old need to set a multi up in Kontakt to obtain multiple articulations has been obviated.

I don't understand why you posted this

• last edited
    last edited

@civilization 3 said:

VI or VI Pro is not a multi-timbral engine like that. With an engine that is, eg., Kontakt, you set the multi for omni and the instruments within that to the channel you want. It works. Not all engines work exactly the same: Trilian takes channel 1 as the parent and a channel 2 assignment seeks a second instrument in the multi, if absent it's a message with no target. TBH this is a matter to search the manual for the particular multitimbral instrument. 

I don't understand why you posted this

It addresses:

"I need to find out how to address separate MIDI channels within one AU instance in VEPro, not to mention, multiple AUs! Nobody has come forward with an explanation of how to do this."

AND it addresses your question. I do not think there is anything counterintuitive about the handling. I tell you why in this post. It's expected that you're sending one part to one instance; that is the design. You don't need more than one midi channel for one part. This is a very clear concept to me.

I don't know what's hard to understand about why I would address questions.