Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,766 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,923 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 35 new user(s).

• Dynamics/Balances with Finale 20011

Hello, I recently purchased VSLSE to use with Finale 2011. (I got tired of GPO). The sounds in the VSL are really great, but I am starting to grow ever frustrated with balances and dynamics. I did download the human play back preferences from VSL. No matter how I fiddle with the mixer, some instruments always seem too loud, some instruments seem too soft. I have unchecked all of the softening aspects of HP, with no real effect. I have assigned the crossfader in VSL, which makes some things better but others not. I am very frustrated at this point, I am hoping somebody out there has some general suggestions/setup to make this work a little better with Finale. Thank you!

• Hello Paukenguy!

If instruments are too loud in general, you can simply turn them down in the Vienna Ensemble mixer. Please also watch out that, the Finale dynamics will only control one aspect of volume (velocity OR velocity X-Fade and NOT Expression). If you find that some patches still are too loud in forte or fortissimo passages, you could lower the dynamic range of these patches in the Control Edit/Edit Cell menu (DYN.R.) and then turn them down in the mixer.
    Another way would be to use a compressor plugin.

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on