Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Solo phasing question

This is a non-productive question, but merely my curiousity. If anyone would answer it, I appreciate it.

I often read that more layers is bad for solo instruments. I can't help but wonder why the phasing is so problematic. If you had 3 samples playing at the same time, then I'd understand. But why can't one have 5 layers, and fade from 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, and so on. During the 1-2 transition 3 wouldn't fade at all until 1 was completely faded out. If it was done this way, would there still be phasing issues?

-Sean

• With the normal way of xFading there will always be phase issues precisely because of the fat that on the crossover there will be 2 instruments playing at the same time. With an ensemble patch it is much less noticeable, but with a solo patch it is pretty obvious that that at some point there are 2 instruments playing, instead of one. With multiple layers this only makes things worse, because you have multiple cross-over points.

There are ways around this, but so far very few developers have had the time or resources to deal with it properly.

DG