Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Panning and channels

Two questions for the VSL community.

First: panning. Can anyone describe the difference in effect created by panning on the individual instrument in contrast to the master pan control (both within VE) given the fact that a reverb will throw the sound around anyway. I'm looking for the correct way to place instruments more distinctly from each other. And what relation do these pannings have to those in the Sibelius mixer? Do they conflict, or does VE over-ride them?

Second: I want to double-check I understand channel relationships between VE and the Sibelius mixer. I have a string piece which uses three instances of VE: the first is a string quartet loaded from Solo Strings; the second is a five-part string orchestra loaded from the Chamber strings; the third is the Orchestral strings from the SEd. The Ensemble channels are 1-2-3-4 (VE1), 1-2-3-4-5 (VE2) and 1-2-3-4-5 (VE3). The same pattern is repeated in the Sibelius mixer - but shouldn't the Sibelius mixer channels be 1 through to 14? Since they're not, should I force the channels in that mixer to be sequential?

Thanks in advance.

• Hello Oceanview!

Vienna Ensemble ignores MIDI panning values like those created by the Sibelius mixer, because MIDI panning is only one dimensional, while the power panner of Vienna Ensemble also has a width for each instrument.

The channel numbers as you have them now are correct. You have 16 channels for each device (in your case for all VE instances).

Best regards,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on