Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,773 users have contributed to 42,478 threads and 255,926 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 37 new user(s).

• VEP 5.0 Pricing, buy VE now or later?

I am debating on getting VE in a couple weeks, when I'm less poor [:)] I plan to get VE 5 in the end anyway, so here is my question...

Would I be limited in any way by buying it now and upgrading later? Would there be a cost disadvantage? I  guess there will be an indroductory offer for VE5, and I don't know if that will be impacted by what I decide. Hopefully I'm making some sense here.

Thanks,

Sean

P.S. Whether I'll be getting MIR Pro when released or waiting until later is iffy as of now... so my question is with the assumption that I'll not be buying MIR Pro. Although, I may decide to fork out the money [;)]

• Hi iscorefilm, 

We will announce the upgrade path from VE PRO 4 to VE PRO 5 when VE PRO 5 is actually released. And of course it will be a reasonable upgrade price (it has not been decided yet). 

We won´t upset thousands of VE PRO 4 users, no worries. 

So if you need VE PRO now, you should get it!

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks. I wasn't fishing for a price, so much as knowing that I won't make some horrible mistake if I get 4 now.

Not that any VSL product could ever qualify as a 'mistake' anyway :)

-Sean

• VSL usually has reasonable upgrade prices on stuff like this!

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

Thanks. I wasn't fishing for a price, so much as knowing that I won't make some horrible mistake if I get 4 now.

Not that any VSL product could ever qualify as a 'mistake' anyway 😊

-Sean

Sean, I think the most important question for you to consider is how important are the current features of VE Pro? If it is only the much vaunted new features that really interest you, I can see that you might want to wait until upgrade pricing is known. However if the current version has features that would really help your workflow, I would suggest that you just go for it. You don't have to upgrade immediately VE Pro 5 is released, and you'll have lost nothing.

FWIW for me the Preserve feature has saved many hours of my time, so for that feature alone it is worth its weight in gold. Almost....!

DG

• As for workflow, there are features in both versions I'll want, but I'm still iffy. The Preserve feature used to be important to me but now I'm less sure. I recently posed a question but it wasn't answered.

I use VE as a standalone with LoopBe30 to route the midi from Cubase to VE. With that in mind, would there be any advantages to using VE within cubase instead? Latency won't matter to me, cause I'd rather run everything through VE and use Cubase stricly as a midi editor/sequencer. So I don't see any advantage to having VE as a VST plugin. Am I missing something?

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

As for workflow, there are features in both versions I'll want, but I'm still iffy. The Preserve feature used to be important to me but now I'm less sure. I recently posed a question but it wasn't answered.

I use VE as a standalone with LoopBe30 to route the midi from Cubase to VE. With that in mind, would there be any advantages to using VE within cubase instead? Latency won't matter to me, cause I'd rather run everything through VE and use Cubase stricly as a midi editor/sequencer. So I don't see any advantage to having VE as a VST plugin. Am I missing something?

-Sean

Three things that immediately spring to mind:

1. VE Pro hosts other things than Vienna Instruments, so you can "preserve" your whole package.
    2. Using LoopBe30 is fine for connecting the MIDI, but then you are limited by your soundcard as to how many audio returns you can have. Withe VE Pro you can have as many audio returns as you like. Currently i have around 110.
    3. You say that latency doesn't matter, but if you are using cables to route the audio back into Cubase, you will have over twice the latency compared with using VE Pro as a VST plug.

DG

• WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!

Am I right in thinking that I could have an audio interface with 32 audio channels (16 stereo), but route the audio from VE back to the DAW with as many channels as my CPU and each VE instance can handle, rather than what my interface has?

If that's true, that will blow my mind away. That will save me SO MUCH money from what I originally intended to do. Sorry to pester you with questions but after reading the feature list and watching the videos- some of the features seemed a bit hazy. Thanks for answering my questions so far. This is my last question though, promise! [:D]

-Sean

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Sean, 

@iscorefilm said:

Am I right in thinking that I could have an audio interface with 32 audio channels (16 stereo), but route the audio from VE back to the DAW with as many channels as my CPU and each VE instance can handle, rather than what my interface has?

Yes, of course you can do that, if you´re working with our LAN solution. Just as mentioned in the feature list of VE PRO, and explained in the manual [;)]

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Thanks! (Forgot I had access to the manual) I love VSL! lol

-Sean

• Just to add that using the term "LAN" can be slightly confusing if you only have one computer. [;)]

However, the answer is that you can route as many channels back as you like, just as you would with a regular VSTi. As I said, I currently have 110, and all of them are routed to audio tracks, so that when I am ready to print the VSTi to audio, I only have to hit record, and the whole thing takes as long as it takes to play the track. Pretty nifty...!

DG