Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,452 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,801 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

•  Thank you,

I installed the latest version (64bit) but I am afraid it has not solved the problem for me. Sound cuts off when loading a Vienna Instruments Pro 2 either VST or Standalone.

• Can you give me your complete system specifications, any Windows tweaks and so on?

• Of course:

Windows 7 64 bit

Dedicated DAW PC, no antivirus installed

Cubase 6.05 64bit

Motherboard: Asus P6T

RAM: 12GB DDR3

CPU: i7930

Hard drives: 500GB 7200rpm system hard drive, 3x1.5 TB 7200rpm hard drives. Vienna Sample Library is installed in one of the 1.5 TB hard drives with 64MB cache.

Video Card: Asus 9400 GT Silent

Audio interface: RME UFX, latest software (but same problem used to happen with RME Multiface and TC Electronic Impact Twin).

I have to mention, that I used to have the same problem on a Toshiba Windows laptop running Windows XP in the past.

It is very peculiar because, after 2-10 minutes pass, everything runs smoothly. Apart from that, if I close Cubase , restart it and use VIP again, the spikes do not appear. Same when I run in standalone. If I run VIP , close it, open it again, the spikes do not appear. It's just the very first time that I load an instance that these problems happen. And it happens even with one single instance, there is no difference if I add 1 instance or 100. Even if I have 50 VIP in some projects (sometimes I do), after 2-10 minutes everything runs smoothly.

Another thing to note is that when the spikes happen, Windows Task manager shows nothing wrong, and DPC latency checker reports perfectly normal values like nothing happened.

Hope that helps, if you need more info, I will be glad to provide you with it.

• I have one more stupid question to ask. I did have another, but then you said that it happened with the standalone, as well as in Cubase, so it's now moot. Anyway, to my question:

What happens if you disable your Ethernet in Device Manager? Do you still get the spikes?

DG

• Hmmm... Yes it definitely happens in Standalone. I also thought Cubase had something to do with it but I ran it Standalone and in VEP 5 standalone and still the spikes occured.

I will try to disable the ethernet controller but I am almost sure that this did happen in the past when I had the ethernet controller always disabled. Same thing on my laptop. Always had ethernet controller disabled and it still happened.

Plus, DPC latency checker shows very stable and low values around 100μs

But I'll give it a try. Thank you. Any other suggestion that pops in mind I will be happy to try as this may seem like a not so important matter but it gives me a hard time because I give presentations/tutorials with VIP and spikes are never good for people to see/hear.

• The only reason that I mention Ethernet is that Windows searches for Networks and if none are connected it can cause pops.

DG

• Agreed, but why would it happen only 2-10 minutes after I load VIP and then stops completely?

•  I don't know. I'm just grasping at straws in the hope that something will help.

DG

•  I did some testing with the ethernet controller disabled. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Same symptoms.

• I have started to move my Vienna libraries from Slaves (via VEpro4) to my main PC so I have started now to use VIpro-2 as plugins directly loaded in Cubase.

I just noticed the very same simptoms Domenico described.

Before they were loaded in VEpro, on slaves and remained loaded for weeks...

I am now going to try the 2-10 minutes wait workaround (just to test it, I don't think it reall is a viable workaround).

My computer specs are identical to Domcenic's (including Cubase 64bit).

• Guys - everybody who has GUI slowness problem or spikes, please forward the info file to the support e-mail. Here is a paste of the exact detail I gave to Domenico in another thread:

Please send a saved file from msinfo32 utility to support@vsl.co.at

1. Please start msinfo32 from a start menu or a Windows 'Run' dialog.

2. On the application choose File->Save... and store the information to ComputerInfo_YourName.nfo

3. Zip the file and attach to a mail, sending it to support@vsl.co.at

In the subject of the e-mail message please mention "VIP2 and slow/laggy GUI - please forward to George", or "VIP2 and ASIO spikes - please forward to George"

Please mark clearly, which problem is exactly concerned, as we seem to have two distinct problems here.

We will ask other affected customers to do just the same thing and compare afterwards. VIPro2 drawing code is quite ordinary and also quite optimized, except that there is a lot of drawing happening, so we don't have a known reason yet, why on selected systems it would behave in this way.

Additionally, if such file exists, I would ask to attach also the following log to the mail message, or otherwise mention, that the file is absent:

C:\Users\<CurrentUserName>\AppData\Roaming\VSL\Vienna Instruments Pro\log.txt

If somebody else stumbles upon this thread for the same reasons - please do the same. We will meanwhile continue with our investigation.

Thanks,

George.