Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,975 users have contributed to 42,270 threads and 254,964 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• for vertical dimension I use a switch, eg., 64 where there are two and a continuous controller if there are more than two, rather than KS. it's a much more obvious visual reference, which program change would be for me as well, I just use KS since I have the pencil tool in hand when I make these decisions.

also in VIP you can time stretch any patch and you have variance right there. say your 'lead' clarinet is more precise with a staccato, use a 95% 'stretch'... if you want you can create a whole section each with their own approaches.

• last edited
    last edited

@iscorefilm said:

I don't mean to bother you more if you are busy. By all means, if you don't want to reply to this, don't feel obligated.

But... lol, I don't see any reason you couldn't still use VST expression. Whether it's Violins, clarinet, or anything. You have a single instrument. To prevent phasing issues, I use sustain instead of legato on the second instrument... then I ajust the attack and decay to sound like legato. (I only recently started playing with attack and decay... while things will take forever now, the control over the sound is phenominal and I should have a lot time ago!!)

Anyway, the point is that you get two different recordings this way, plus I mess with the filter, or eq, or other things to give them a slightly different sound... There are also plugins out there to change things up for you also, but I haven't played with them. If all VSL instruments were recorded solo and divisi sections, this would be amazing! But in the mean time, there are enough articulation choices in the basic libraries that you never really need to play the same articulation to get the same basic performance (for most instruments anyway, strings are harder, imo)

If you reply, I'm wondering if that wouldn't work for you.

Again sorry for taking so long. It might work for me I don't know. I find that deadlines are too close to spend much time experimenting (which I should). I still haven't learned how to use the divisi, I just can't find the time. And when I do have the time I really don't want to spend it by the computer... There are still many things in music I'd like to learn e.g. atonal counterpoint and my fugue technique could also be improved. I've spent this year studying Ligeti and Penderecki and how to do orchestral textures. Polytonality is also an ongoing study/experiment. So if I have to choose between reading manuals or music theory books/scores I chose the latter. This year I also need to learn to mix and produce, since budgets are getting smaller and smaller and I can't afford studio engineers anymore. And that world is definitely Chinese for me.... Furthermore, the VSL tutorial videos have proven to me that mixing and mastering seems to be even more important than getting perfectly realistic performance and I don't know how to do it... Boo! I probably will get around to it one of these days or perhaps I'll just continue to buy more articulations/libraries to save me the time. C.