Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,392 users have contributed to 42,296 threads and 255,064 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

2) You cannot pick single articulations. Of course there is an upgrade path from the Special Edition to Chamber Strings (depending on what you have, you get a discount). Here are the discount details.

1. I'm stunned. This is such good news I have to double check: If I purchase SE Standard and SE Standard Extended Lib together, I can then get the -complete- Chamber Strings I for $55?

2. Can I install SE on one Vienna Key and Chamber Strings I on another?

Thanks!

---JC

PS: I dunno if it's just me, but the e-mail subscription thing doesn't work for me at all.

• No, this is your discount, this means, you pay 55$ less than the normal price.

Sorry to interupt your daydream  ...

• Thanks, yeah, I figured... CRAP. It's just that VSL's prices are -so- much higher than the various American companies I keep thinking there -must- be some better discount. If I were looking for the more typical EPIC sound, I'd have -several- choices within my budget. <sigh> But from what I can tell there simply are no competitors to Chamber Strings.

---What about my other question: being able to run SE on one dongle and Chamber Strings on another?

---JC

• Hello Suntower, 

yes, you can have your licenses on different key (and each license can only be on 1 key). 

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Holy crap! I think I'm starting to understand this scheme. (I better check my BP. :D )

I think I'm ready to purchase SE today.

1. My understanding is that if I get SE DVD and SE-Extended DVD, I can then get SE Plus -Download- and SE Plus -Extended- Download for just the -strings- and the two -will- work together, right?

2. When you get SE there is a 30 day trial for -Extended- right? Is there also, a 30 day trial for -Plus- and Plus-Extended on the SE DVD?

3. What do instruments in -Italics- mean in the descriptions?

Thanks!

---JC

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Suntower, 

@Another User said:

3. What do instruments in -Italics- mean in the descriptions?

I guess you are referring to the description in for the Download SE, right?

Italic is used to show the sections, like: 

Solo Strings: 

Violin, viola, cello, double bass

Orchestral Strings: 

Violin ensemble (14 players), viola ensemble (10 players), 
    cello ensemble (8 players), bass ensemble (6 players)

Hope that helps, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Again, my thanks for your patience. I wish I could get it all but 1k is the budget for better or worse...

Anyhoo, as you can tell, what I'm trying to get to is a chamber orchestra... I need everything in Chamber Strings but I need only about 1/2 of what's in SE, so just to do my due diligence I'm thinking of one other alternative...

1. Is there some page which does a comparison of the elements of Chamber Strings I vs, the bits of Chamber Strings I in SE 'Full'?

2. There's a discount on Chamber Strings if one gets SE. But if I wanted to get Chamber Strings is there then a discount if I want to get SE later? If so, what is it?

3. If I get Chamber Strings I, is there a subsequent discount on the download instruments (I'll need some winds and brass)

4. Is a trial of Chamber Strings available? Or is there a 30 day trial available if I get SE?

Believe me, I hope this is the end of the questions!

---JC

• Any word on these questions? My dealer is clueless...

Anyhoo, as you can tell, what I'm trying to get to is a chamber orchestra... I need everything in Chamber Strings but I need only about 1/2 of what's in SE, so just to do my due diligence I'm thinking of one other alternative...

1. Is there some page which does a comparison of the elements of Chamber Strings I vs, the bits of Chamber Strings I in SE 'Full'?

2. There's a discount on Chamber Strings if one gets SE. But if I wanted to get Chamber Strings is there then a discount if I want to get SE later? If so, what is it?

3. If I get Chamber Strings I, is there a subsequent discount on the download instruments (I'll need some winds and brass)

4. Is a trial of Chamber Strings available? Or is there a 30 day trial available if I get SE?

Believe me, I hope this is the end of the questions!

---JC

Thanks again,

---JC

• 1. Yes, here on this site. Not really difficult to find.

2. dunno

3. No, why should there be? Sometimes there are time-limited discounts for students, sometimes there are buy 2 get one free sales though

4. Google for "VSL exploration kit"

5. I don’t believe you

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

5. I don’t believe you

I dunno if yer kidding or what, but nobody enjoys this less than I. My dealer is almost useless. FWIW: I am disabled and working @ the computer for long periods is somewhat difficult. If I have trouble navigating a site (and VSL's site using frames is TERRIBLE for the disabled) I'm pretty much -screwed-. I could probably have made the decisions I need with a 5 minute chat with someone who was familiar with the product---or if the site were easier for me to use. I -thought- it was just me at first, but I've reviewed enough posts from other users to see that I've got little to feel self-conscious about. It's a complex product and sadly I took music @ school, not tax law. I do however, sincerely thank you for your help.

--JC

• You can see what articulations are exactly in which package if you go to the product information page of the desired product, and click "sample content".

Here's the direct link for the chamber bundle: http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/442/344/1835/1839/1499.htm

and here for the SE Bundle: http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/261/314/1607/1625/604.htm

As for the exploration kit: This is the only official way to test all of the libraries. The Special Edition Bundle can be tested via try-sound.com

An inofficial way would be: If you buy a Vienna Key you have demo licences of all libraries for a certain number of starts. If you know somebody who owns the chamber strings, you can install them on your computer and test them with the demo licence. After these starts have expired, you can’t use it until you buy it.

Some dealers also have at least the SE installed on a test-machine.

• last edited
    last edited

Thank you.

It just dawned on me what I need... a Seattle user I can bug. Does VSL have a (of course private) way to connect me with a Seattle user who might be willing to give me a demo or answer questions? I've been on both ends of this sort of interaction with with regards to double basses and classical guitars (similar: expensive product with only a few thousand users spread out all over the world.) Since the dealer can't possibly be everywhere, customers are usually more than happy to evangelize.

Paul is this something VSL can help faciliate?

Or is there someone out there in the Seattle area who'd be willing to open their studio to me for a few minutes and answer some questions---or even just a phone call?

Thanks,

---JC

@MassMover said:

You can see what articulations are exactly in which package if you go to the product information page of the desired product, and click "sample content".

Here's the direct link for the chamber bundle: http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/442/344/1835/1839/1499.htm

and here for the SE Bundle: http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/261/314/1607/1625/604.htm

As for the exploration kit: This is the only official way to test all of the libraries. The Special Edition Bundle can be tested via try-sound.com

An inofficial way would be: If you buy a Vienna Key you have demo licences of all libraries for a certain number of starts. If you know somebody who owns the chamber strings, you can install them on your computer and test them with the demo licence. After these starts have expired, you can’t use it until you buy it.

Some dealers also have at least the SE installed on a test-machine.