Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,584 users have contributed to 42,242 threads and 254,861 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 23 new post(s) and 40 new user(s).

• I love your products... but

It's seems almost impossible to get any sort of constructive feedback, support or responses in this forum. So many have 0 responses or very few. Does anyone know of any VSL forums where you get answers, feedback, a heart beat, anything?

• Hi,passenger57, Sorry to deny you,but I always had speedy response from VSL Team.

• passenger57, I won't say this is always the case, but sometimes the lack of response is due to the way the question is worded (there have been times where my questions have not been clear).

• Feedback on what? Examples please? If you have a problem, contact support.

DG

• Specifically for this thread: http://community.vsl.co.at/forums/t/28966.aspx But there are others where I do not get a response or very little information. Sometimes I do, but it seems to take alot longer than most other forums. Just my experience.

• Don't blame the forum in general. it's specifically the Logic users who are not offering any help. [:P]

DG

• Yea your probably right - but sometimes hard to tell what is Logic and what is VEP. When I post these issues on Logic forums I get crickets. lol

• Whenever I have a crash that I can't fix I always send the logs to support and get an answer back with 24 hours. They always know what's wrong and give me a fix (usually an out of date plug that is crashing things).

They have fixed some fairly complex problems as well.

I'm not denying that you have a problem but the general criticism is not warranted even though it's very frustrating to post on the forum and receive no replies.

• I've recently tried to get some help through the support email with the issue where the instruments don't freeze when you freeze the host - they still draw cpu and over time you eventually can't use the system even with all instruments frozen, whereas this doesn't happen with other software instruments, they responded but didn't seem to understand the problem, then Cyril on the forum gave me a proper answer - which was that I don't have any specific problem with my system, but that indeed the software does this. However then there was nothing more about it, and basically it was left like that.

In all other cases though any other contact I've had with VSL has been superb and excellent...

I really hope the engineers get to the bottom of it and fix it so that when you freeze, it really does disable the cpu usage of that instance, so that we can get more out of our systems.

I've had this as a problem since 2007, and I've been working around it for years, thinking it was Logic, then I migrated to Cubase, and it still has the same problem... and only now in 2011 have I finally pinpointed the problem as being Vienna Instruments (not Ensemble).

• Hey everyone, thought I would update this thread.

Support got back to me and have been very helpful, I think this problem is rather obscure and they needed time to look into it - and they have actually found what they think is the problem - some kind of low level CPU issue in Vienna Instruments, where it is actually still chewing up CPU even when it's off, frozen, and even when disconnected. When you have many instances, this slows it down, and no matter what machine you have, it's not efficient. You don't notice it with low instance counts, but as soon as you start getting into 20 - 30 instruments and beyond it quickly hogs the machine and even if you freeze tracks you don't regain as much CPU as you should by about half, eventually the only way to keep working is to unload and delete from memory instances that you have frozen using the Cubase "unload from memory" function when freezing. If you tend to work all over the place at once like I sometimes do, this is unworkable. For example sometimes I will re-perform a part right up to the final mix, when you need low latencies so you can hear what you are playing properly.

So VSL support has told me they are hoping to have this fixed by the next version / release / update - which at the time the current version had only come out. So I'm hoping very much this will be able to be fixed in the current version. It would make a huge difference to the efficiency if when you switched an instrument off it was really "off" and not drawing CPU latently. For many of you with powerful machines and who work on large latencies, it may not be an issue, I know I can get at least double the instances if I max out the latency and buffers, but I don't work that way. When you work on low latencies, the freeze function itself also slows down as well, so the whole thing just becomes quickly unworkable, unless you buy a much more powerful machine.

To me this would be the single greatest feature update of all!

Yes, this is a not so subtle hint to the support team to please not forget about this issue ;-) but can you blame me ? I know on the surface it is an obscure issue, but it is in reality an important one and it would make a huge difference to my work flow and I'm sure for other's out there as well. [:D]