Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,492 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• First composition with VSL!

Ok, I just got VSL installed this past weekend and completed my first "short" piece with it. This is actually my first song recorded on my new computer and newly upgraded Sonar X1 Producer DAW (from Sonar 6 Studio) Recorded, mixed, and masterd in Sonar.  http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10707098 I'm sure you all won't be too impressed as I've heard some amazing compositions on here... I'm still learning. [:)]  Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to offer any helpful critique or suggestions...

Only thing... can you use one instance of Vienna for mutliple instruments? (multi timbral) This song was only like 20-25 tracks, but some of my other songs are like 80-100 so I want to work as efficiently as possible. I tried loading what looks to be a limit of 12 in one instance of Vienna, but only one instrument is recognized even though I select the corresponding channel and routing info in Sonar to match each one. I apologize if this topic has been covered, just haven't been able to find any answers on this...

Thanks for listening and any advice or suggestions...

Best regards,

Joseph

• [;)]  Nice 

I would check at 1:40 the harmonic is a bit hard

On Mac there is no problem to have 90 VSL tracks, it depends of the amount of memory, the speed of your CPU and disks

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Thanks for the feedback... I hear what you're talking about @ 1:33 & 1:44, the harmonics are harsh... I heard that today when I was listening to everything again... not sure how I missed that. [:@] I'll have to find what instrument is causing that... I'm also going back to brighten up some parts of the mix as well.

Concerning the multi-timbral question... It's not that I think my computer will have a problem playing that many instances of Vienna, just asking if it was multi-timbral or not.  Just seems to be a more efficient way of working... a little less clutter... at least that's the way I'm used to working. So, can you play more than one instrument per instance of Vienna? Thanks for the reply.

• Hello

Sorry I did not understand your question, you must use VE PRO server and you can have as many VE PRO that will contains at least 16 instruments(16 midi channels) per VE PRO instance. Some DAW allow more than 16 instruments per VE PRO

Best

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  •  No problem. Thanks for the clarification on that. I'll probably ask around on the Sonar forums to see if any of them have VSL and if they have figured out a way to use Vienna as multi-timbral. I may just not be setting up everything correctly. If not, the VE PRO server looks like something I may look into further down the road. Thanks again...

• I really like the timbres you get from the strings, the way you oriented the chords... magical would be the word =)

By the way, for your multi-track question...  One useful thing I found is to use Vienna Ensemble for groups of instruments... I think you can set multiple instruments to receive the same midi control.  Then, you can create a "midi channel" in your sequencer that ends up controlling both.  In general, there were also other advantages to separating the instrument tracks and the MIDI control over them, for example, saving templates of volume levels and panning separately from any particular composition.  Ultimately, however, copy-paste is my tool of choice for multi-timbral control, since there always are subtle differences in volume levels, timing, and articulations that are helpful to do differently for each instrument. =)

• Thanks for the comments and thanks for the suggestion for using Vienna Ensemble. I hope to get a chance to work with it this coming week. I'm working on another song this week so I should get to try out some different methods and template setups.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on