Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• last note of piece just will not sustain. Why ?

Hello, 

I have a strange problem: I'm using 2 instances of Flugelhorn ( playing simultaneously ), in Logic 9, but I cannot get the last note of the piece in either Flugelhorn to sound as long as it's written.

Here's my data: Fl 1: Matrix: Short-Long, Patch:  11 sus_vib

Fl 2: Matrix: Perf-Legato-Speed. Patch: 01 perf_legato_vib

I've tried altering the velocity,  the dynamic ( with  automation ) and the pitch, but it doesn't make any difference.

I've also followed the piece through with the VI window open to make sure that there wasn't an inadvertent keyswitch  to a staccato patch or whatever.

I've played around with notes earlier in the piece just to see how long they'd sound for and was pleased to see that they notes responded as I wanted.  I also marked the end of the piece as 5 bars later than this note, so it wasn't in any way cut-off.

I'm completely stumped ! Anyone who can puzzle this out for me will earn my immense gratitude,

Thanks,  Kay.

• I would imagine that you've reached the end of the recorded note. The samples are not looped. If you're using a legato sample for the last note, I would suggest that you either replace it with a legato start note (by leaving a gap before it and covering that gap with sustain pedal) or just use a sustain note.

• Thanks for replying. Not sure what you mean by ' If you're using a legato sample for the last note, I would suggest that you either replace it with a legato start note (by leaving a gap before it and covering that gap with sustain pedal) or just use a sustain note.'

I added sustain pedal but it didn't prolong the sound.

It may very well be that 'you've reached the end of the recorded note.'  

but if this is the problem, why is it possible to successfully extend the length AND sound of any other note in the piece ? I've played around with this so I know that it's only this last note.

• OK, it sounds like I need to ask detailed questions in case you don't understand fully how all of this works.

1. Are the last two notes both using a legato patch?
    2. If so, does the length of the last note change if you leave a gap before it?

DG