Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,759 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Preserved as template

I'm doing a progrock album now, and I'm currently settings up all I need in VEP. I like to use Decouple and Preserve, and therefore I wonder how you do it? Do you save *.viframes (Save Project as), or turn off Decouple in your DAW before closing the session, or what?

Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

•  I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I worked yesterday with two VEP Server instances on the slave. I used decouple and preserve, but before closing the PT session on the master I clicked off decouple, saved the session and closed the session. Today, the VEP instances opens up blank? I'm pulling my hair out here - please help. Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi,

I´ve tried my best to explain all these features in the VE PRO manual from page 16 on, in a chapter called "Preserve, Decouple, Connect and Disconnect – An Overview".

I suggest to play around with very simple songs and setups to find out what works best for you.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • And a fine job you've done, Paul. I get it now. I've done 5-6 projects with VEP now, and I'm getting to know the workflow properly.

• last edited
    last edited

@ptlover said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I worked yesterday with two VEP Server instances on the slave. I used decouple and preserve, but before closing the PT session on the master I clicked off decouple, saved the session and closed the session. Today, the VEP instances opens up blank? I'm pulling my hair out here - please help. Thanks.

Yeah, don't do that. Keep your PT project decoupled when saving.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

What? Why not? The manual says:

"Don’t forget to deactivate DECOUPLE before you save your song. This way all Vienna
    Ensemble PRO information is stored in your sequencer project as a backup."

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

What? Why not? The manual says:

"Don’t forget to deactivate DECOUPLE before you save your song. This way all Vienna
    Ensemble PRO information is stored in your sequencer project as a backup."

I don't know about the context that is taken out of. I am telling you the truth of how it works from my own experience. If you want the sequencer to store the information, you keep the project coupled, per se. If it was decoupled the last time you saved it, it remembered nothing of what's in the VE Pro project; now you tell it to recouple, there's no there, there. A new instance is required. You can, however re-up the way it was connected, if you have managed to save your changes at the VE Pro/slave end (but be SURE to fully load the VE Pro metaframes before launching the seq. project or you'll get the seq. establishing new blank instances). NB: the behavior of the blank connection you found is just how it works in these scenarios. And there's no good reason I can imagine to go back and forth from couple/decouple.

If one is using really small templates in VE Pro, it may be useful to keep the projects coupled, but when the template is larger, it's a long save time, a much longer load time to have the sequencer remember/load it as opposed to the relatively much more efficient VE Pro loading/saving.

But do be consistent, couple the projects or don't. Period.

• Yes, but you originally typed decouple when saving, when what you meant was re-couple.....!

DG

•  Well, being consistent in terms of using decouple or not at all times doesn't work well with my setup. I sort of have to decouple the 32-bit instance of VEP server with Play EWQLSO and Ivory. Each auto-save in Pro Tools causes beachballing and dropouts, and that is inconvenient to say the least.

When I started using VEP, I had to keep the 64-bit instances preserved to prevent them from disconnecting from the host, but that problem magically went away. I think a 256 samples buffer setting caused that, but I'm not sure. I use 512 or 1024 now with no such issues.

The quote from the manual is just part of the explanation on how and when to use preserve and decouple. Page 17 if you want to read it yourself.

Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@ptlover said:

Well, being consistent in terms of using decouple or not at all times doesn't work well with my setup. I sort of have to decouple the 32-bit instance of VEP server with Play EWQLSO and Ivory. Each auto-save in Pro Tools causes beachballing and dropouts, and that is inconvenient to say the least.

Yes, that is because PT is saving the state of every plug. I'm finding that PT does auto-backup almost as soon as I press Space Bar to stop playback, and unfortunately if I've already opened a menu, this can cause a crash. In any case PT is not saving seamlessly in the background so decouple is the only option to stop that. However, deactivating de-couple (in other words activating couple) is the only way to save the plugin states with the PT session.

DG

•  Yes, that's true. I got it now. Took a while to wrap my head around this, but it's definitely worth the time and money. So much more powerful than my old setup. Thanks again.

• One other little quirk that has caused problems for me in the past: I did not know that one can't close the Pro Tools session whilst having the VEP RTAS plugins decoupled. I thought that the saved state (VEP Server with all it's plugins and settings) prior to decoupling would "override" the last saved state before closing, but it doesn't. This is the reason I was in shock when my VEP Server instances on the slave opened up blank, although I'm 100% sure I saved them all before decoupling.

Ah well - now I know. [H]