Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,761 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,921 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• Buying MIR SE

As I wait for my newly ordered core i7 970 3.2 GHz machine with 12 GB of Ram to arrive for MIR SE, I have been playing with MIR SE on my older core duo quad core system.  It works well enough for a small project that I am working on, but I cannot save my work and open it up after restarting MIR SE.  I get an error and have to reboot MIR again.  My question is this--if I buy MIR SE and install it on this older machine while I wait for my new machine, do I need to uninstall the demo first?  I have found that sometimes installing a full version after having used a demo causes some problems.  I just want to be certain that I can continue to learn about using MIR while I wait for the new machine.

Thanks for any guidance.

Mkiz

• The only difference between the demo and the actual product is the license on your key, and of course the RoomPack. IOW - there's no need to uninstall the actual engine, but make sure that you install the complete RoomPack(s) instead of the stripped-down trial-version once you bought MIR.

That said, it is always wise to make sure that you have got the latest software-version.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  •  Dietz,

Thanks. Is it normal behavior for the demo version to not allow one to open saved projects?  I don't seem to have a problem saving, but I can't open what I seem to have saved.

Also, I assume that the templates cannot, by design, be opened by the demo version, because I have not eben able to load the string quartet template.

Thanks. It looks like I will be buying today!  I got the woodwinds I and Chamber strings I last night, so my chamber orchestra is almost complete.

mkiz

• mkiz, I have a similar setup to the one you are getting: i7 930, 12 gigs of ram.  You should not have any trouble at all running MIR SE with chamber strings I and woodwinds I (and the various SE libraries as well).  For smaller projects, the 32 channels in MIR SE is plenty.

If you eventually plan on getting more of the standard and extended full libraries, you may eventually want to consider getting 24 gigs of ram.  If you still have the option to do so, starting with three 4 gig ram chips will allow for future expansion.  If you opt for six 2 gig ram chips, future expansion becomes more expensive.

•  Hello Mkiz,

how did you create this project, with the full version of Mir SE or with the demo version?

And did you install the full version of the Mir SE roompack after you've got the license?

To check some other issues, it would be helpful to have a look at your project file and the exact error message you get when you try to open the project. Could you please send it to me?

Thank you, Florian