Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,087 users have contributed to 42,705 threads and 256,979 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 39 new post(s) and 34 new user(s).

• Vienna Suite vs MIR - How can I acheive the effect of greater microphone distance?

Hello again, everyone!

I am trying to achieve distance in some of my recordings.  Though we all appreciate the clarity and "liveness" of VI Samples, I need to make them sound as if there were recorded from about half way back in a good sized concert hall.  I would also like to achieve a nice distance in a smaller venue, say a recital hall, about 50 feet from the stage.  I have been playing with the tools in the Vienna Suite for a about a week now and I just can't achieve what I am looking for.  Is MIR a better product for trying to achieve distance in different sized spaces?

Let me ask this of users of Vienna Suite:  If you wanted to record a piano, marimba and various small percussion in a medium sized recital hall (say it seats about 300) and you wanted to make it sound like it would if you were sitting 2/3 of the way back in the hall, what would you do?

Same question for users of MIR.

I suppose I am trying to achieve something quite artificial because VI samples very all recorded at pretty close range, so I need to simulate microphone distance.  It is very hard!

Thanks - i will keep trying this and asking questions until I achieve my goal!  :-)

• Seriously, no one has any ideas about this?

Mike

• Astro, the most convincing (and convenient) way is to use Vienna MIR for that task - it was designed exactly for the goal you're aiming for.

Other than that, the solution is either a quick'n'dirty approach with one or two reverbs and some EQs used to mimic the depth of a stage (...more "reverb" and less "initial delay" means that a source is further away from the listener and closer to a reflecting wall; rolling of some treble and the lowest bass range will move the source away from you, too), or a quite elaborated setup that goes beyond the scope of a forum message. This might be the reason why you didn't receive more answers. :-)

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

Dietz,

Thank you.  After watching all the MIR videos and reading what you just said I am convinced MIR is what I need.

@Dietz said:

Astro, the most convincing (and convenient) way is to use Vienna MIR for that task - it was designed exactly for the goal you're aiming for.

Other than that, the solution is either a quick'n'dirty approach with one or two reverbs and some EQs used to mimic the depth of a stage (...more "reverb" and less "initial delay" means that a source is further away from the listener and closer to a reflecting wall; rolling of some treble and the lowest bass range will move the source away from you, too), or a quite elaborated setup that goes beyond the scope of a forum message. This might be the reason why you didn't receive more answers. 😊

Kind regards,