Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

186,755 users have contributed to 42,477 threads and 255,917 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 17 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Vienna Suite VS MIR?

I am not sure I know the difference between the Vienna Suite and MIR.  Is MIR just a more robust set of tools for the same purposes?

I wrote this yesterday and it outlines what I am trying to acheive:

"Does anyone out there know of a good tutorial on using EQ to acheive a more relistic sound with samples?  Sometimes the sound of samples is just to present to sound as realistic as I would like and I have tried several ways to acheive "mic space" (lowering the gain and increasing reverb, EQ, etc.)  I have acheived some success but I figured that there must be many others who have explored this already and may be able to help.  Are there any good webpages that discuss this or any tutorials you know of?  I often wish all VI samples came with different microphone distances, but I know that would create enormous files and increase the cost.  There must be ways of "faking" this effect to some degree.  I am just trying to acheive as realistic an ensemble sound as I can get and I just don't know enough about acoustics to have a good grasp of what EQ settings best recreate a real live recording."

•  I'm quite shure, Dietz will answer your questions much satisfying as I can. But for shure I can say, that MIR is a very different tool than the Vienna Suite. But maybe the right tool for what you are aiming at. So maybe you have a look in this Video here (MIR first impression): http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1687/455/1717/1325.htm

I can tell you MIR rocks. Together with Vienna Suite - unbeatable.

Best

Frank

• last edited
    last edited

If I had to buy only one first, which do you think wouldbe better at attaining some of my goals of realism, VS or MIR?

@doubleattack said:

I'm quite shure, Dietz will answer your questions much satisfying as I can. But for shure I can say, that MIR is a very different tool than the Vienna Suite. But maybe the right tool for what you are aiming at. So maybe you have a look in this Video here (MIR first impression): http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/497/1687/455/1717/1325.htm

I can tell you MIR rocks. Together with Vienna Suite - unbeatable.

Best

Frank

• Vienna MIR is a very different product than Vienna Suite. While the latter is "just" a bundle of high-quality plugins, MIR is much more:

(Quoting the manual:)

What is Vienna MIR? 

Vienna MIR is an innovative, highly integrated software package for mixing, spatialization (distribution in space) and reverberation of virtual orchestral instruments. Vienna MIR is meant to be used “stand-alone”, much like you would use a mixing console in the analogue world.

Vienna MIR offers integrated sample-players, advanced stage positioning possibilities, sample-based reverb (socalled impulse responses), and individually assignable signal processing. Its main goal is a fast and intuitive, yet highly realistic approach to the realisation and mixdown of virtual orchestral music.

Vienna MIR's main components and core technologies are:

• a host and MIDI-interface for Vienna Instruments

• unique instrument-conscious (signal dependent) directivity handling

• a spatialization tool for instruments or ensembles on detailed virtualisations of real halls and stages

• a host for 3rd-party VSTi’s (virtual instruments adhering to the VST standards)

• a host for VST effect and signal-processing plug-ins

• a convolution-based reverberation tool, derived from world class orchestral venues

• an advanced multi-format mixing engine with instrument-specific, hand-tuned presets

• an inviting, hands-on graphical user interface

• project-oriented file management 

[...]

Vienna MIR is designed to be self-explanatory. In spite of the underlying complex technology, you can simply look onto a stage and interact with the musicians you invited to play on it, without the need to use any technical abstractions like faders, buttons, numbers or editors.

[...]

Working with an orchestra in its natural environment may seem a self-evident task: A big stage in an acoustically suitable hall. Nevertheless, in our work with virtual orchestras we unintentionally have gotten used to accept all kinds of technical abstractions of this logical model. We’re dealing with mixer channels, pan-pots and faders, equalizers, auxiliary sends and reverb engines – only to achieve an effect that “just happens” in the real world: The impression of depth and room, the perceptibility of the instruments’ positions and their mutual relation.

Vienna MIR reintroduces the “natural” environment to the virtual domain, so that we finally are in the lucky position to forget about most of the annoying (or at least tedious) detours. The MIR engine offers a holistic approach to the spatialization of virtual orchestras, allowing the user to interact with the players more like a conductor than an engineer. MIR is all about “room”, and both the interface as well as the underlying processes serve this sole task only. 

I hope this gives you an idea. ;-) ... The MIR manual is available as free download from your User Area, if you want to know more:

-> [URL]http://www.vsl.co.at/en/68/428/709/376/239.htm[/URL]

Oh, BTW: MIR will host your virtual instruments as well as plugins (like Vienna Suite). :-)

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Astro said:

If I had to buy only one first, which do you think wouldbe better at attaining some of my goals of realism, VS or MIR? 

As I assumed, Dietz has quick replyed to you (as always!) , but to give you a direct answer to your question:

If your computer is strong enough - go for MIR or even MIR SE - nothing in the sample world adds more realism to the samples basic sound.

IMHO there is nowhere a comparison to MIR, beside that the Vienna Suite is more a plugin for sound editing (even it includes a Convolution Reverb but not for   M u l t i  - IRs.)  So for your goal, I recommend to give it a try! Try - Version at the same link above...

Frank

• MIR is a monster product.

It makes your mixing sooooo much easier. No single thing you can add to your system will make as much of a difference as MIR.

EDIT: I take that back. Actually MIR Pro should make a bigger difference.

• However, please remember that MIR takes a huge amount of processing power. I can't run my template at any buffer. [:O]

DG

• Yes, it does take considerable computational resources to run hundreds of simultaneous Impulse Responses. Amen.

Since MIR can do more for your mixing of VSL (and other libraries) than any other single thing you can do - it does have its requirements.

The more resources you throw at it the more you will get out of it.

It is more than worth it.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jack Weaver said:

Yes, it does take considerable computational resources to run hundreds of simultaneous Impulse Responses. Amen.

Since MIR can do more for your mixing of VSL (and other libraries) than any other single thing you can do - it does have its requirements.

The more resources you throw at it the more you will get out of it.

It is more than worth it.

+ 1

Nice to know of some others sharing my rapture and cherishing of MIR. Needing of a strong system is well documented, so there's no reason to lament about.     

• I'm really looking forward to making the plunge!  Am waiting for the release of MIR Pro (OSX user).  I need to upgrade my old MacPro to one of the new ones.  Am hoping that MIR Pro will not necessitate me buying a separate computer.  If anyone has an update on the possibility of MIR Pro not needing a separate computer, I'd be interested in hearing it.         Thanks!     Tom

• Astro, how much computer you need for MIR depends on what libraries you are using.  I have found that my i7 930 with 12 gigs of ram works well with MIR SE, using the four SE libraries along with a few standard libraries, though 24 gigs of ram would be highly suggested.  The more standard libraries you have, the stronger the computer will need to be.  The new Sandy Bridge processors would be even better, but it might be a good idea to wait until the tri channel ones come out later this year-current ones are limited to 16 gigs of ram maximum, and long-term you will want 24 gigs of ram, at the very least.  If you are doing smaller projects, the 32 tracks of MIR SE will probably be enough.

I have no regrets at all going with MIR SE over the Suite (of course, having both would be even better), and like others have, would suggest starting with MIR, or MIR SE.