Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,492 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Whale Dance: 2 Tamtams, 2 Waterphones, 2 Humpback Whales …

…  Upright Bass, and SE Alto Flute.

http://www.berkus.net/complimentary/whaledance.m4a

Very sparse, and I expect some people to question that it is actually music. I resisted the temptation to pad it or dress it up with strings.

In spite of the Humpback Whales, you probably wouldn't call it "New Age" - it's just me being my wacky self.

Enjoy it, if you can

[;)]

I took the plunge and commissioned Richard Waters to make me a real Waterphone for my 60th birthday. He'll have it ready for me end of May or beginning of June, and I am very excited about it. This could mean I cannot afford any VSL libraries this year - sorry, VSL team … but actually, you never know. Many people I spoke to reckon that I may actually earn money with "The Thing".

• I think this is really awesome =)   I think its mixed really well, too.   Did you use MIR?

By the way, I think I'm hearing some encoding artifacts... especially a high frequency ringing on the acoustic bass notes.  It actually distracted me though I wanted to "escape" into the song more.

• last edited
    last edited

@suon said:

I think this is really awesome =)   I think its mixed really well, too.   Did you use MIR?

By the way, I think I'm hearing some encoding artifacts... especially a high frequency ringing on the acoustic bass notes.  It actually distracted me though I wanted to "escape" into the song more.

Thanks a lot!

I have a Mac - MIR is only available for Windows - so, I use Logic Stiudio for everything, and the convolution reverb which comes as a part of the package.

The exaggerated (I call it slightly "metallic" for lack of a better word) high frequency ringing is the reason why I prefer CDs and hardly ever buy music downloads. It seems to be an MPEG encoding artifact. Most people I know don't notice it at all, but I certainly prefer PCM audio. Also, I reckon the effect is much more pronounced with MP3 files - that's why I always use MPEG 4 ("AAC" or .m4a) encoding. Also, for some reason, it seems more prominent with the VSL Upright Bass than with almost anything else I have encoded... with male speaking voices being another sound which doesn't convert all that well to MPEG, in my opinion.

But hey, I am delighted that you like my "against the main stream" music. I just love exploration and experimentation - something professionals generally cannot afford to indulge in.

• Hi Feenixx,

I like this a lot. It is original and interesting, while sounding very organic, totally real and honest.

Well done!

Alex

• last edited
    last edited

@Alex O said:

Hi Feenixx,

I like this a lot. It is original and interesting, while sounding very organic, totally real and honest.

thanks a lot for the encouragement, Alex! I am generally finding it difficult to get through to people with my admittedly quite self-indulgent music, but since I do it entirely for the pleasure of it, I don't really mind all that much - but sometimes it does happen, and then I am thrilled to bits.

[:D]

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on