Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

190,089 users have contributed to 42,706 threads and 256,980 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 40 new post(s) and 36 new user(s).

• Need advice for the perfect setup with the following things in mind.

1. I hate lights so no blinking lights e.t.c 2. I hate the sound of a fan so preferably no fans if possible. 3. I would only be getting the movies of the other computers on the LAN so I'd connect the device to the internet so an Hd wouldn't be needed but an SD for fast startup e.t.c would be nice. 4. The case would need to be as small as possible. 5. It would have to be able to play 1080p movies so ram/cpu or any other hardware needed for that is what I'm looking for. 6. Some kind of a remote like the microsoft remote but have in mind that I'd be using ubuntu to run xbmc and if no remote is to be found (haven't found anything my self) I guess I could use my ipod/android. -- If anyone could be nice enough to find the necessary things for me I'd be greatly appreciated and hopefully this thread would help others with the same things in mind. Thanks

• "1. I hate lights so no blinking lights e.t.c

No problem, just hide from typical gaming PCs with special neon lights and fans with LED gimmicks.

2. I hate the sound of a fan so preferably no fans if possible.

The modding scene is full of possibilities for silent computer setups.

Tnings to remember here is :

a) passive graphic card without a fan.

b) good power supply ( Be quite, Enermax etc )

c) Powerful, usually oversized, low rpm CPU cooler. Models keep changing, but watch out for the usual suspects like Zalman, Sythe, Noctua, EKL Alpenföhn...

d) board with good internal air flow/ heat management, no active North/southbridge cooling. The more expensive models sometimes come with heatpipes, that´s what you should be looking for.

4. "The case would need to be as small as possible."

Wouldn´t do that. You might not need a Big Tower. But at least a mid sized one will give you more flexibility, especially if you want to add more devoces lke additional harddiscs, silent fans, damping, air circulation etc.