Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,492 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,818 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• VE PRO Crashing PC...

Hello,

I run a VE Pro template on a pc slave computer and sequence on an 8 core mac in Pro Tools.  Recently my pc has been shutting down with no warning and restarting.  This only happens when VE Pro is loaded up on the PC.  I'm wondering if I'm pushing the PC to hard and that could be the cause of the problem. 

I'm running Windows 7, have 18 gigs of ram, and Intel 7 core processor.  When I check how much ram I have allocated to VE Pro the task manger indicates that I have just over 7 gigs used by VE Pro and the samples I'm streaming are using barely any CPU power.  It doesn't seem like I'm really pushing the limit of what the computer should be able to do.  Is it possible that something other than VE Pro is causing this problem?  Can having too many connection to the sequencing computer cause these restarting issues?  My current template has 11-12 64-bit frames and 4 32-bit connections.

Any insight would be very helpful.  I'm happy to provide additional info as well.

Thanks!

• Hi fil,

my guess is that you might be overloading the 32 bit Server, which is limited to 2.5-3 GB (depending on what else is running on the system).

I´d start to load less in the 32-bit instances, that will probably make things go smoothly again.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul, thanks for the reply. I'm fairly sure that's not it as I'm hardly running anything on the 32 bit server - maybe 4 instances of Alchemy, 3 or 4 of BFD, 2 of Moog Modular and 4 of Zebra. And infact, this problem was already well underway before I even installed Zebra. 

Is it possible I'm overloading the 64 bit side of things? That side is pretty loaded up but should still have plenty of headroom. I'm wandering if it could also be a mechanical, non VE pro related problem although I can't see anything obvious.

Any other thoughts? 

Really appreciate your help

best

FIL 

• It very much sounds like a hardware or driver problem. VEPro can impossibly shut down your computer, it would at most cause a crash of the application. Some soundcard drivers can sometimes behave really bad however, so I would start looking there.

Have a look at the "Event Viewer" and System/Application logs.

• thanks Martin

I don't use a sound card (all of my audio goes via LAN same as the midi). Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help

FIL 

• Do any of your plugs use iLok?

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

Have a look at the "Event Viewer" and System/Application logs.

btw, where do I find these? (forgive me, I know nothing about PC's really)

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Do any of your plugs use iLok?

DG

Not on the PC no 

thx

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

It very much sounds like a hardware or driver problem. VEPro can impossibly shut down your computer, it would at most cause a crash of the application. Some soundcard drivers can sometimes behave really bad however, so I would start looking there.

Incidentally, to add more detail, the PC doesn't always restart, it sometimes freezes completely - and when either of those happen, it crashes the Pro Tools session on my main Mac - I'm assuming that's purely because of the connections to VE pro. Hope that helps.

• another thing to add to this is I am running a program called Synergy to share a keyboard and mouse between the mac and pc, (also via LAN) don't know if that's of any use to you?

• last edited
    last edited

@fil said:

btw, where do I find these? (forgive me, I know nothing about PC's really)

Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > View Event Logs

• last edited
    last edited

@fil said:

Incidentally, to add more detail, the PC doesn't always restart, it sometimes freezes completely - and when either of those happen, it crashes the Pro Tools session on my main Mac - I'm assuming that's purely because of the connections to VE pro. Hope that helps.

Everything freezes, as in (locally attached) mouse & keyboard input stops working? And "sometimes" auto-restarting?